Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Milky way composite
Lens: 14mm Camera: K3II Photo Location: Kamloops ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: aitrus3, 08-26-2018, 08:09 PM

Seeing as I won't be getting any star therapy here any time soon, I thought I'd play with a couple shots I took on the same night from *near* the same location. Warning: This is a highly edited shot. Not only was the milky way actually too far to the left for the shot to work, I also flipped the foreground horizontally, as well as the milky way image to make it work better. Done mostly for fun, I don't regularly make these kinds of real heavy edits and not say anything about it.


Views: 414
08-27-2018, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,023
Very nice. I assume the city glow on the horizon is Kamloops. If you flipped things horizontally, that means you were probably out east of town somewhere, maybe by Pritchard?
08-27-2018, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Prague
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,913
Amazing!
08-27-2018, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,024
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Very nice. I assume the city glow on the horizon is Kamloops. If you flipped things horizontally, that means you were probably out east of town somewhere, maybe by Pritchard?
Nope and Nope. South of town. Believe it or not, the glow is either Kelowna or Vernon at only 80km as the crow flies from this viewpoint. Kamloops is behind us, merritt would be far to the right. Shot in the spring when the Milky way rises in the SE and arcs to the extreme east. My camera for the sky shot was pointed SSE at the time.
This is the sky image I used and the final shot I got that night after searching for a good position. This is on top of that rock face and is very accurate as to how things were positioned.

08-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,023
Ah, so the rock face was composited in. This was before the grasslands got much spring rain... and then turned brown again when the summer drought set in.
08-27-2018, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Medellín
Posts: 1,206
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Nope and Nope. South of town. Believe it or not, the glow is either Kelowna or Vernon at only 80km as the crow flies from this viewpoint. Kamloops is behind us, merritt would be far to the right. Shot in the spring when the Milky way rises in the SE and arcs to the extreme east. My camera for the sky shot was pointed SSE at the time.
This is the sky image I used and the final shot I got that night after searching for a good position. This is on top of that rock face and is very accurate as to how things were positioned.
Wow, I actually like the original shot better., being the composite a really good one.
08-28-2018, 05:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,024
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Wow, I actually like the original shot better., being the composite a really good one.
Definitely like the 'original' shot more yes. It's why I left the little ledge below and explored more up on top before the milky way actually rose; trying to find a better composition that worked well.
08-28-2018, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Medellín
Posts: 1,206
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
Definitely like the 'original' shot more yes. It's why I left the little ledge below and explored more up on top before the milky way actually rose; trying to find a better composition that worked well.
I think it's a wonderful foreground composition. Yes, with the milky way rising it's going to come into the frame perfectly. Did you manage to take the picture? Summer's almost over.



08-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 66
Beautiful shots
08-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,024
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I think it's a wonderful foreground composition. Yes, with the milky way rising it's going to come into the frame perfectly. Did you manage to take the picture? Summer's almost over.
No. Too much smoke from forest fires, again. Last summer was a bust as well, same problem.
I have a different area I need to try shooting at this fall, hopefully the skies stay clear for another month or two.
08-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Medellín
Posts: 1,206
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
No. Too much smoke from forest fires, again. Last summer was a bust as well, same problem.
I have a different area I need to try shooting at this fall, hopefully the skies stay clear for another month or two.
Sad to read that. At least during fall, the MW tilts to the right. Can be a nice background, too.

08-30-2018, 02:08 AM   #12
Junior Member
shinigami's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 40
Damn good shot
08-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,024
Original Poster
Thanks folks
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo, shot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night Milky Way & Big Dipper Berserker Post Your Photos! 4 08-21-2018 05:34 PM
Best of 2016 Black Gold - My Favorite Milky Way Shot! roberts_camera Post Your Photos! 9 08-20-2018 07:46 AM
Night First Milky Way of 2018 aitrus3 Post Your Photos! 17 06-29-2018 06:01 AM
K-70 Milky Way Shots sojournaut Pentax K-70 8 10-01-2016 11:56 AM
Night Milky Way with 43 mm tfriel Post Your Photos! 3 09-05-2016 08:14 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top