Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
11 Likes  
Last of the Afterglow
Posted By: ffking, 08-27-2018, 06:09 AM

Back to personal favourites. The water was still enough for the boat not to be rocking, but a 30s exposure smothed it out completely. What I like here is that I was able to position the camera, by working my way down the beach to get the boat under the arch of cloud - which is then reflected in the sea. A subtler thing I like is the light from the flashing channel markers, and the buoys, providing a visual counterweight to the boat, and the few pinpricks of artificial light on the far shore.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by ffking; 08-28-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Views: 2,260
08-31-2018, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Back to personal favourites. The water was still enough for the boat not to be rocking, but a 30s exposure smothed it out completely. What I like here is that I was able to position the camera, by working my way down the beach to get the boat under the arch of cloud - which is then reflected in the sea. A subtler thing I like is the light from the flashing channel markers, and the buoys, providing a visual counterweight to the boat, and the few pinpricks of artificial light on the far shore.
I love the silkiness of the long exposure, a dreamy feel where sky and water merge.

08-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WildPortraits Quote
I love the silkiness of the long exposure, a dreamy feel where sky and water merge.
It's one of my favourites among my images in that regard. Thank you.
09-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #33

I really like images where there is a surreal element, that makes you really look in order to see.
09-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I really like images where there is a surreal element, that makes you really look in order to see.
Yuh - anything that lifts reality out of itself a little is a great plus in a photograph, IMHO

09-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #35

For many years my photography was documentary, as part of scientific studies. Now with my main focus being photography, I like exploring how it lets us see things we otherwise couldn't. That includes long exposure, fast shutter, extreme macro, etc. This is a great example of the kind of photography that enhances a normal view.
09-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For many years my photography was documentary, as part of scientific studies. Now with my main focus being photography, I like exploring how it lets us see things we otherwise couldn't. That includes long exposure, fast shutter, extreme macro, etc. This is a great example of the kind of photography that enhances a normal view.
sounds good - I reckon It's good to have a background in more documentary or technical stuff as you get to be familiar with controlling the camera and making it do what you want - as long as it doesn't cramp your imagination, which it doesn't sound like it has in your case
09-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #37

I actually had to break the habit of being too scientific. I spent a year photographing almost all in an impressionist style, shallow DOF, camera panning, etc. By the end, I now see photography totally differently.

09-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good choice going for a longer exposure and the way you framed the whole scene also works wonders. Well done!
09-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Well executed.
Such a peaceful scene and nice colors!
X 2...couldn't say it better myself.
09-02-2018, 03:16 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I actually had to break the habit of being too scientific. I spent a year photographing almost all in an impressionist style, shallow DOF, camera panning, etc. By the end, I now see photography totally differently.
I can understand that - though the actual process of loosening up is a useful one one in its own right, as you found (I did product photography for a few years in South Africa, though I have to admit I also went out exploring the landscape between jobs) - I hope I can take your ast comment as a positive
09-02-2018, 03:25 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Good choice going for a longer exposure
It can be a bit hit and miss, but always interesting-- and in this case it worked for me - thanks for your kind words
09-02-2018, 03:26 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
X 2...couldn't say it better myself.
Thank you!
09-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I can understand that - though the actual process of loosening up is a useful one one in its own right, as you found (I did product photography for a few years in South Africa, though I have to admit I also went out exploring the landscape between jobs) - I hope I can take your ast comment as a positive
I think it is good no matter what kind of photography it's always good to experiment with other styles, just to get new creative angles. You can definitely take my comment as positive- your photo is really fantastic.
09-02-2018, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You can definitely take my comment as positive- your photo is really fantastic.
Sorry - I was a bit ambiguous there - I meant to say that I hoped that your seeing photography totally differently was in a positive way - but thank you for the accidentally solicited compliment
09-02-2018, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #45

I wasn't totally sure what you meant, but felt you deserved a compliment since I really like the photo Yes, seeing photography differently is a plus for me, a deeper perspective on it with levels of both technical and creative skills. Harder but more rewarding.