Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Running hard to the docks
Lens: Pentax DA 50-200WR Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Port St. Joe, Florida ISO: 250 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: dubyam, 08-28-2018, 12:05 AM

Caught this lone fisherman running hard for the docks at sunset. Again, this is standing on the eastern edge of St. Joe Bay, in Port St. Joe, FL. This particular area has some of the most colorful sunsets I've witnessed. I saw this little skiff zipping across the shallows of the bay, and knew when I snapped the shutter I was going to like this image. I just didn't know quite how much. This is another blast from the past I may frame with a couple of others from this series. Perhaps 3 5x7 prints in a group frame would be a good option. If so, I might crop in on the boat a little in this. This is the "out of camera" JPEG, with zero processing by anything but the engine in the K-30.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by dubyam; 08-28-2018 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Views: 318
08-28-2018, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A truly excellent capture with wonderful colors, subject, composition and sharpness. Well executed in every way. Thanks for posting.

TT
08-28-2018, 05:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding!
08-28-2018, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely colors, varied textures, action - what more could one want?

08-28-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
wonderful colors and great moment for the picture.
I also like the composition but I think your horizon needs a little correction.
08-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the shot and the colors
08-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
but I think your horizon needs a little correction.
Yes, I understand the horizon needs correction. But I wanted to show how good the in-camera JPEG looked with zero manipulation from me. Comparing to the undeveloped RAW file, it appears the camera's engine was adding in some saturation and a little contrast. I may try to process this to get rid of a little of the noise (more visible in a crop closer on the skiff) but I may just print this whole image (straightened, of course...) along with a couple of others and frame them horizontally in a series.
08-28-2018, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Terrific sunset with a bit of human interest. I can hear his outboard whining away, and the skiff bouncing on the waves. The shore has a lot of features in this sunset image, and the sun's disk is not seen. A very different effect from your previous sunset. Well done. Thanks.

08-29-2018, 06:31 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks again for the kind comments, TedH. I tried to get some beautiful photos while visiting your state earlier this summer, but my composition skills just aren't what I want them to be. I see something I think would make a great photo, and can't seem to capture what my mind's eye sees. With this sunset, it was easier, as Landscape is pretty straightforward and easy to frame (at least in this setting). The boat was an unexpected treat and when I heard him running (before I saw him) I knew I wanted to get him in-frame. I'm just pleased his position aligned as it did with the colors and textures in the existing landscape. Sometimes it's a magical moment you can't plan which makes a nice composition.
08-31-2018, 05:29 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
Caught this lone fisherman running hard for the docks at sunset. Again, this is standing on the eastern edge of St. Joe Bay, in Port St. Joe, FL. This particular area has some of the most colorful sunsets I've witnessed. I saw this little skiff zipping across the shallows of the bay, and knew when I snapped the shutter I was going to like this image. I just didn't know quite how much. This is another blast from the past I may frame with a couple of others from this series. Perhaps 3 5x7 prints in a group frame would be a good option. If so, I might crop in on the boat a little in this. This is the "out of camera" JPEG, with zero processing by anything but the engine in the K-30.
Amazing sunset, with great reflections, and the boat adds movement to the scene.