Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
One Lovely Morning Glory.
Lens: Pentax SMC -DA L 55-300mm ED Camera: Pentax k-50 Photo Location: Backyard ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Tonytee, 08-29-2018, 09:12 PM

Focal Length 170mm, Manual Exposure Mode, No flash and used Matrix Metering.

Thanks for viewing.

TT
Views: 616
08-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks almost as if there is a light in the throat of that flower. What a lovely image.
08-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That looks almost as if there is a light in the throat of that flower. What a lovely image.

Very kind of you to say so, sir. Thanks very much.

TT
08-31-2018, 05:13 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

Focal Length 170mm, Manual Exposure Mode, No flash and used Matrix Metering.

Thanks for viewing.

TT
It's so hard to get the true colors of these, excellent.

09-01-2018, 12:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WildPortraits Quote
Quite true and thanks very much for your comment. )

TT
09-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #6

Did you need to post process or did the camera and lens actually get these colors? I am always looking for ways to capture true blue.
09-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jumping on the beautiful color bandwagon. Nice job Tony.

09-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Did you need to post process or did the camera and lens actually get these colors? I am always looking for ways to capture true blue.
Well, I tried several different bodies and lenses and with the same settings, they pretty much mirrored each other. The actual color is more of a pale blue and nothing to get
excited about, so I decided to fidget around in FastStones Image Viewer and Photo Editor 10. So it was just an education working in Post Photo Editing. I am very glad that everyone seems to like it.

Many thanks,

Tony
09-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Well, I tried several different bodies and lenses and with the same settings, they pretty much mirrored each other. The actual color is more of a pale blue and nothing to get
excited about, so I decided to fidget around in FastStones Image Viewer and Photo Editor 10. So it was just an education working in Post Photo Editing. I am very glad that everyone seems to like it.

Many thanks,

Tony
I think to get the blue as you did the camera and lens must have picked up a true if pale blue to start. I seem to often get a hint of purple mingled with blue and no amount of post processing manages to bring it back to pure blue.
09-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think to get the blue as you did the camera and lens must have picked up a true if pale blue to start. I seem to often get a hint of purple mingled with blue and no amount of post processing manages to bring it back to pure blue.
Yessireeeee Bubb. You are spot on with your comment. That is exactly what happened.

Thnx,

TT
09-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #11

It's a nice image! The blue color is very eye-catching, but perhaps a bit too-blue for the subject? I would be interested to see your "pale" blue version (before editing), because I have found the blue morning glory to be a very challenging subject, color-wise.

I have been photographing blue morning glories for decades using a variety of film (mostly transparencies) and 2 different digital cameras, and the photographs almost always turn out significantly more violet than what I saw. So far, my best result for color accuracy was from a Fuji XE2 using Fuji's Astia color profile, early one morning before sunup. But if I take that same raw image and switch to another color profile in Lightroom, like Adobe Color, the blue shifts to violet. (If you want to see my blue morning glory on my SmugMug site <click here>)

I just realized I haven't tried this subject with my Pentax K-3 - and I think I saw some morning glories in the garden today - so I will try that tomorrow!
09-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
It's a nice image! The blue color is very eye-catching, but perhaps a bit too-blue for the subject? I would be interested to see your "pale" blue version (before editing), because I have found the blue morning glory to be a very challenging subject, color-wise.

I have been photographing blue morning glories for decades using a variety of film (mostly transparencies) and 2 different digital cameras, and the photographs almost always turn out significantly more violet than what I saw. So far, my best result for color accuracy was from a Fuji XE2 using Fuji's Astia color profile, early one morning before sunup. But if I take that same raw image and switch to another color profile in Lightroom, like Adobe Color, the blue shifts to violet. (If you want to see my blue morning glory on my SmugMug site <click here>)

I just realized I haven't tried this subject with my Pentax K-3 - and I think I saw some morning glories in the garden today - so I will try that tomorrow!

My wife does a great job of growing these. This past August we had too many days of extreme dry heat and that delayed these flowers from blooming when they initially should have. I did discover that within their short life span, there is a time when they do turn a bright, deep blue color. They do start out with a pale blue almost washed out appearance which I did not find very flattering for a flower. My wife also grows the red morning glories which are really beautiful, however they can be quite a challenge in Digital Photography to manipulate as most reds are.

Well thanks a million for your comment and for sharing some excellent and useful information.

Cheers,

TT

---------- Post added 09-05-18 at 10:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Jumping on the beautiful color bandwagon. Nice job Tony.
Greatly appreciated Dave. )

TT