Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Ladies of the Shebeen
Posted By: ffking, 08-30-2018, 02:00 AM

I know I've posted this elsewhere on these forums, but since I'm posting my favourites, I have to X-post this one. It comes from 1998 when my wife and I were dong the photography for a health research project in KwaZakhele township, Port Elizabeth, South Africa. We had access to places that I wouldn't have dared go alone, though in reality nobody we met was in any way hostile. We were shown briefly into the shebeen (in the South African sense they are informal but licensed drinking places)where these two ladies were enjoying a mid-morning beer. I had an AF 400 FTZ flash mounted on the camera, and it was quite gloomy, but I thought it would totally destroy the atmosphere to fire it - one of the best photographic decisions I've made: the motion blur, and the hint of camera shake (from foggy memory, I think I was getting something like 1/4 sec wide open in pre-SR days) add to the atmosphere and the natural light spilling through the door is just beautiful. I standout memory from a very memorable day. Shot on Fujichrome Provia 100 transparency film.

Attached Images

Views: 1,368
08-31-2018, 04:24 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Great color and side lighting, capturing something that is significant. Pixel peeping need not apply, and would not enhance this image, but would render it sterile. Great moment. Thanks.
With your current posting frequency it's pretty impressive coming up with something worth saying - thank you for saying it!

08-31-2018, 04:46 PM   #17
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
With your current posting frequency it's pretty impressive coming up with something worth saying - thank you for saying it!
I slow down a lot for posts that actually mean something, like for commenting on an image. I'll make trash posts for trash threads, or a quick comeback or explanation, but otherwise I require that my posts have useful content (at least I hope that it's useful). Can't stand bullshitting just to pretend I'm here. Now that we crossed the line for the K-1mk2 win, life is back to normal.
08-31-2018, 05:11 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I know I've posted this elsewhere on these forums, but since I'm posting my favourites, I have to X-post this one. It comes from 1998 when my wife and I were dong the photography for a health research project in KwaZakhele township, Port Elizabeth, South Africa. We had access to places that I wouldn't have dared go alone, though in reality nobody we met was in any way hostile. We were shown briefly into the shebeen (in the South African sense they are informal but licensed drinking places)where these two ladies were enjoying a mid-morning beer. I had an AF 400 FTZ flash mounted on the camera, and it was quite gloomy, but I thought it would totally destroy the atmosphere to fire it - one of the best photographic decisions I've made: the motion blur, and the hint of camera shake (from foggy memory, I think I was getting something like 1/4 sec wide open in pre-SR days) add to the atmosphere and the natural light spilling through the door is just beautiful. I standout memory from a very memorable day. Shot on Fujichrome Provia 100 transparency film.
Great portrait, so evocative.
08-31-2018, 10:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
Now that we crossed the line for the K-1mk2 win, life is back to normal.
Amen to that

08-31-2018, 10:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WildPortraits Quote
Great portrait, so evocative.
Thank you
09-01-2018, 12:01 AM   #21

I love this, the texture and shades of background colour, the fact that they haven't noticed you, or have relaxed since you started taking photos.
09-01-2018, 02:47 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Patricia1066 Quote
I love this, the texture and shades of background colour, the fact that they haven't noticed you, or have relaxed since you started taking photos.
thank you - they knew I was there, but I was standing back in the shadows being as unobtrusive as possible, and they weren't bothered. My experience in Africa is that people are far less nervous and self-conscious in front of a camera than we tend to be - they either enjoy doing wonderful poses of their own creation or completely ignore the camera's presence - it's a lot of fun photographing them, and they appear to either enjoy it or not be bothered in the slightest.

09-01-2018, 02:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like it alot.
09-01-2018, 03:26 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I like it alot.
cheers! - thank you