Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Remote Control
Lens: DA 18-135 Camera: K-30 
Posted By: reh321, 08-30-2018, 11:05 AM

Taken @ 78mm

This locomotive fascinated me, so I took this photo despite the busy background.

Normally switching in a yard requires two people - a switchman on the ground to throw switches and uncouple cars, and an engineer to operate the locomotive. If you look carefully, this locomotive doesn't have a cab .... instead it has extra lights and antennae - because it can be controlled remotely by the switchman on the ground using a hand control, sort of like a model. That way, the railroad doesn't have to pay an engineer also.

Attached Images

Views: 632
08-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ummm, that sounds kinda scary! Neat, but scary.
08-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, they have signs around the place warning people what is going on because the switchman can't necessarily see what someone on the locomotive can see.
08-30-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ha, that is even scarier!

08-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Scary indeed. All to save a few bucks...
08-30-2018, 07:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Scary indeed. All to save a few bucks...
Well, that keeps some trucks off the roads and makes the goods we purchase slightly less costly .....
08-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Well, that keeps some trucks off the roads and makes the goods we purchase slightly less costly .....
Well the trains keep the trucks off the road, yes, it's not the control mode But I agree that it keeps costs down a little, and every little helps in this competitive industry.

08-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

As long as I don't have to travel by rail, I won't worry about this getting out of control and doing serious damage. Thank you for alerting us to this menace. Nice capture, by the way.
08-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well the trains keep the trucks off the road, yes, it's not the control mode But I agree that it keeps costs down a little, and every little helps in this competitive industry.
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
As long as I don't have to travel by rail, I won't worry about this getting out of control and doing serious damage. Thank you for alerting us to this menace. Nice capture, by the way.
Thank both of you for your comments. I don't think I have anything to add at the moment.