Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Jaguar
Posted By: newtmaker, 02-25-2007, 01:28 PM

This is from the zoo. Same camera lens combo. Was shot through lexan so I was somewhat surprised that it came ot as well as it did considering the reflections.

Last edited by newtmaker; 06-25-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Views: 2,628
02-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool. It looks content!!

Do you use a polarizing filter? It would cut down on some, if not most, of the reflection while increasing color saturation and contrast enhancement. I would think it would work equally as well on a lexan window??? Shooting at more of an angle to the glass will also help to cut down on reflections.
02-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice detail and capture.
The bokeh is disturbing and I was wondering if this was due to the reflections or distortion in the Lexan glazing.
Mind sharing your lense/camera stepup?
02-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It was shot with the K10D, 50~200 at 138mm, 1/180 sec @ 4.5. The Lexan was at about a 30* angle to the optical path. I believe the bokeh problems are because the oof background has chain link fence wire in the field. That has given the strange oof pattern that some find "disturbing". Yes, I agree that I probably need a polarizer. However, there were numerous folks shooting the same view over the course of a half hour or so, and those that were trying the polarizers took them off because they were saying they were not really helping much, and the 2 stop light loss was more deterimental. That is one of the hazards of zoo photography. If you can get close there is almost always glass or cage material in the way. If the animals are more free range, then they are almost always a long distance from where you are!!

Walt

02-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLThorne Quote
Cool. It looks content!!

Do you use a polarizing filter? It would cut down on some, if not most, of the reflection while increasing color saturation and contrast enhancement. I would think it would work equally as well on a lexan window??? Shooting at more of an angle to the glass will also help to cut down on reflections.
Newtmaker - great shot of that cat!

GL - I never heard of using a polarizing filter to shoot through glass. I'll give that a go for next time - thanks for the tip!
02-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alvin - Polariser cuts down reflections, so helps look through glass.