Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Magic
Posted By: reh321, 08-31-2018, 10:45 AM

Since I have to go run some errands, and we are close to the end of the GiveAway, I thought I would bring an end to my most active participation with a tribute to a cat we named "Magic". She died of lymphoma in October 2011, but until then she was my friend. Almost every night, she awakened me grooming my beard to bring me up to the standards she expected me to meet.

Attached Images

Views: 651
08-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not easy loosing friends. Thanks for sharing.
08-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
She's beautiful.
09-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
It's not easy loosing friends. Thanks for sharing.
Six weeks after Magic died, we went to the shelter to look for another cat - my wife's goal was to find another friend for me - and a totally black cat we named Leila adopted me {really, she made all the moves, and I merely responded to her}. Sometimes I feel guilty about this, but Leila is so affectionate towards me that I can go for days without remembering Magic ..... and I feel just a little bit embarrassed and guilty about that.

09-03-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
She's beautiful.
Thank you - yes "tortie" hair can be very special.
09-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Torties seem to like grooming their people more than most. Every one we had would lick my head often! My current orange cat is a drooler so I am glad she doesn't do that!
09-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of our cats is nearing his 17th birthday. He's hanging in there but..... we know, he knows, time is short. It is never easy to lose one of our four legged family members.

09-04-2018, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
One of our cats is nearing his 17th birthday. He's hanging in there but..... we know, he knows, time is short. It is never easy to lose one of our four legged family members.
Thank you for your thoughts and your understanding. Part of the pain in losing Magic is that she was just seven when she contracted lymphoma .... she was raised in a barn, which is said to be a marker for poor health, because the best cats are normally not sent out there. Her "pal", a gray-and-white cat we call "Velcro" and now fifteen, had a health issue last spring. The vet thought Velcro might have cancer also, but while preparing her for an ultra-sound, they found a serious infection under her tail .... apparently Leila had bit her {Velcro can be something of a bully to Leila, and Leila takes it most times}. A big dose of antibiotic, and she was back to her grumpy usual self, at least for now.
09-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Torties seem to like grooming their people more than most. Every one we had would lick my head often! My current orange cat is a drooler so I am glad she doesn't do that!
The main thing I'd heard about tories is that they have "tortitude", a real attitude toward life, but thank you for these additional thoughts.
09-06-2018, 07:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty cat!
09-08-2018, 04:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
Pretty cat!
Thank you for your comment. 'Tortie' hair varies hair-by-hair in some areas of the cat's body. With experience, I learned that often flash was the only way to bring that out - this was one situation when flash would bring out things I wasn't seeing without it.
09-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you for your comment. 'Tortie' hair varies hair-by-hair in some areas of the cat's body. With experience, I learned that often flash was the only way to bring that out - this was one situation when flash would bring out things I wasn't seeing without it.
I've never had the honor of being owned by a tortie. My parents live in a rural area and have several semi-feral ones that regularly visit their yard, though, and I've not had much luck getting good pictures of them. I'll have to try with flash next time I visit--thanks for the tip!
09-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
I've never had the honor of being owned by a tortie. My parents live in a rural area and have several semi-feral ones that regularly visit their yard, though, and I've not had much luck getting good pictures of them. I'll have to try with flash next time I visit--thanks for the tip!
Thank you for your comment.

I'm not sure about photos taken outside, which might change lighting conditions enough to change "the rules". The thing is that tortie's beauty comes from subtle variation in color, and you need to find some way of bringing that variation out.
09-09-2018, 07:54 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you for your comment.

I'm not sure about photos taken outside, which might change lighting conditions enough to change "the rules". The thing is that tortie's beauty comes from subtle variation in color, and you need to find some way of bringing that variation out.
They're usually in shade, so I think the flash will help bring out the color quite well. Certainly worth a try!