Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Solar Eclipse 2017 - Patience or Procrastination
Lens: DA*300 Camera: K3-II Photo Location: Oregon 
Posted By: JimS_256, 08-31-2018, 12:26 PM

So when I photographed last years solar eclipse I had the camera set up to bracket exposures. Each time I pressed the remote I got 5 raw images 2 stops apart. I knew there was a way to combine them but all the tutorials I looked at seemed too complicated. I finally found a tutorial that made sense to me, followed it and came up with this.

Not a perfect image, I can see some vertical and horizontal banding but it far exceeded my expectations.

Views: 650
08-31-2018, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Holy crap! the level of detail in that is absolutely fantastic!

Can you share a link to that tutorial. I did the same but all my attempts at merging the frames have left me disappointed.
08-31-2018, 12:44 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Dig those waves
08-31-2018, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You did a great job. Love the shot.

08-31-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
Holy crap! the level of detail in that is absolutely fantastic!

Can you share a link to that tutorial. I did the same but all my attempts at merging the frames have left me disappointed.
Thanks! Hindsight and all that I should have used the 1.4 TC with the 300 but still these came out far better than I ever thought they would.

It was a series of two videos by Russell Preston Brown from Adobe. It does require Photoshop CC (and I used Lightroom instead of ACR) something I've been paying for but not using much so it was nice to get some benefit from it.

08-31-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
So when I photographed last years solar eclipse I had the camera set up to bracket exposures. Each time I pressed the remote I got 5 raw images 2 stops apart. I knew there was a way to combine them but all the tutorials I looked at seemed too complicated. I finally found a tutorial that made sense to me, followed it and came up with this.

Not a perfect image, I can see some vertical and horizontal banding but it far exceeded my expectations.

Beautiful!
08-31-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent image. Very good coronal rays. Well done PP. Thanks.

I also shot the eclipse, with K-3 and F*300. I set up 2 USER modes so I could take sets of 5 bracketed images at a slow range of shutter speeds, than sets of 5 bracketed images at a fast range of shutter speeds, so that the result was sets of 10 bracketed images from 1 sec to 1/4000th sec. I worked hard on the processing, but didn't have the information to get it done properly like yours. I'll have another go at it soon, now that I've done more research on eclipse processing.

08-31-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

wow, check that out!

Must have been even more incredible to experience in person!
08-31-2018, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
Nice! This is the sort of image that I'm hoping to pull off by the time of the next North American eclipse in 2024.
08-31-2018, 03:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote

I also shot the eclipse, with K-3 and F*300. I set up 2 USER modes so I could take sets of 5 bracketed images at a slow range of shutter speeds, than sets of 5 bracketed images at a fast range of shutter speeds, so that the result was sets of 10 bracketed images from 1 sec to 1/4000th sec. I worked hard on the processing, but didn't have the information to get it done properly like yours. I'll have another go at it soon, now that I've done more research on eclipse processing.
That's a great idea! I tried to keep it simple and not focus (pun intended) so much on photography, that I wasn't enjoying the eclipse. Quite a few articles I read recommended (if this was your first eclipse) to just enjoy it and not photograph. I'm glad I didn't follow that advise but I did try to have things set up so I didn't have to do much fiddling other than occasionally re-centering the sun. That was the nice thing about 300mm, there was some room for drift.

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote

Must have been even more incredible to experience in person!
Really beyond describing. I've been interested in astronomy since I was a teenager and always wanted to see one. I missed the last one that came near my home in 1979 and I've always regretted it.
08-31-2018, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #11

Definitely worth finding the right tutorial Amazing details.
08-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #12
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a great idea! I tried to keep it simple and not focus (pun intended) so much on photography, that I wasn't enjoying the eclipse. Quite a few articles I read recommended (if this was your first eclipse) to just enjoy it and not photograph. I'm glad I didn't follow that advise but I did try to have things set up so I didn't have to do much fiddling other than occasionally re-centering the sun. That was the nice thing about 300mm, there was some room for drift.
I read those articles too, but as I'm into photography and astronomy, I quickly ignored them, and, as you did, worked to come up with a mechanism and procedure to get the images and still have ample time for bino and naked eye viewing. Cameras (K-3 and K-1) were on tracking equatorial mounts pre-aligned the night before. I used a phone app, Solar Eclipse Timer, which announces the stages of the eclipse down to the second, to tell when to start the first series (solar filters off), when the middle was (when the second series was started), and when it was ending (solar filters back on). A great deal of preplanning and setup, but lots of time to eyeball the eclipse. The K-1 unfortunately ended up out of focus, so it was a good thing that I had the other, which took good images. Still got to do the good PP work to bring it up to the quality that you achieved.