Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway Ver 2.0
Lens: Bower 8mm Fisheye 3.5 Camera: KP Photo Location: Alna, Maine ISO: 500 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: SSGGeezer, 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM

This is a follow up to the thread Reh321 started previously about his visit to this small gauge railroad and museum. Here is the link: Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington - PentaxForums.com

You will note some of the shots in this series are obviously taken with my Bower 8mm Fish eye. All the rest are taken with my DA*50-135. I even have a little video from the train so you can hear the whistle blowing en-route.
First two are of the train turntable taken with my 8mm fish.
Next three are of a new acquisition that is being restored for use. It has plows under the center to snow plow between the rails and a wing on the right side that extends out to push the snow back to make room for the next snowfalls output. The shot of the interior is of the crank mechanism to extend the plow wing.

Hand car, SOOC downsized by the forum.

Car barn

Car barn and hand car

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 769
09-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice photos. This looks like a great place to visit.
09-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It was a very good afternoon. The wife likes trains and we both like history. It is only about 34 miles from my house but I learned of it via the thread here that I referenced. All the volunteers were super nice and informative, and we actually hung around after closing talking to several of them while they put the locomotive to bed. More pics of that to come.
then on the way home a snack of crispy fat French fries with cheese and bacon on them to hold us over until we had our Ribeye steaks for dinner.
09-04-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
This is a follow up to the thread Reh321 started previously about his visit to this small gauge railroad and museum. Here is the link: Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington - PentaxForums.com

You will note some of the shots in this series are obviously taken with my Bower 8mm Fish eye. All the rest are taken with my DA*50-135. I even have a little video from the train so you can hear the whistle blowing en-route.
First two are of the train turntable taken with my 8mm fish.
Next three are of a new acquisition that is being restored for use. It has plows under the center to snow plow between the rails and a wing on the right side that extends out to push the snow back to make room for the next snowfalls output. The shot of the interior is of the crank mechanism to extend the plow wing.

Hand car, SOOC downsized by the forum.

Car barn

Car barn and hand car
You got some very interesting effects using the fisheye ..... I wouldn't have thought of using that.

Incidentally, their track is all hand-laid by volunteers - they have special work days in fall and spring when they invite everyone. That is how I first discovered them - shoveling ballast rock from flat car to where it was needed.

09-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You got some very interesting effects using the fisheye ..... I wouldn't have thought of using that.

Incidentally, their track is all hand-laid by volunteers - they have special work days in fall and spring when they invite everyone. That is how I first discovered them - shoveling ballast rock from flat car to where it was needed.
Looking at my schedule which is wide open currently and thinking about how manty days my back could handle this! They have the bridge ready to go in after the track gets completed down past the bottom of the hill where they currently stop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Test of different export settings for the forums. Changed the PPI.

---------- Post added 09-04-18 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Well,is it good, bad, somewhere in between or phony artistic junk? In other words, do you like the effect or would you have gone with the 20mm end of my 20-40 and backed up a bit?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Test of different export settings for the forums. Changed the PPI.
The only thing that should change appearance on screen is total number of pixels. Whether you specify something as 6"x4" @ 300 ppi or 3"x2" @ 600 ppi, as long as is is 1800 pixels x 1200 pixels, it should look the same. Now, if your editing software thinks in terms of pictures, and changing "ppi" is a backdoor way of changing # pixels, it will change appearance if monitor has enough pixels to take advantage of that.

09-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Well,is it good, bad, somewhere in between or phony artistic junk? In other words, do you like the effect or would you have gone with the 20mm end of my 20-40 and backed up a bit?
I hate to answer questions like this; it truly is an "artistic choice". Using fisheye changes how the photo looks because it changes angles, sometimes giving a "cool" effect. Backing up changes perspective, which affects angles in a more predictable fashion. At heart, I'm a realist - I like photos that look like the actual thing, so normally my personal choice is to backup - but yesterday on our trip home from Dearborn, I took a photo in Jackson MI in which I chose to use my Sigma 10-20 @ 15mm, instead of my DA 18-135, because I didn't want the {main} street to come between me and the building, even though I knew that choice would cause the near vertical lines of the building to lean more ... I suppose I should have tried both options, because I'm still second-guessing that decision.