Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Enchanted Forest
Posted By: JMR, 09-20-2008, 07:34 PM

In the first image, the distribution of red-orange and dark grey areas is critical to a good image. In the second, not everyone's cup of tea i will grant you, the white birches helps to unify the the wonderful reds and greens. See, I told you it was an enchanted forest!

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 09-23-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: to make room for new photos
Views: 1,577
09-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful colour and great feathery effect to them all.
09-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Nice work, incredible colours.
What's your process?
09-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
JMR.... Really like the first one... Thanks for sharing and likme Gary I would like to know your process... JIMBO

09-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have to say that you have perfected this style admiralty

cheers
09-21-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting more images of your technique. This is in the "Orton" style right? I've been working on it since you posted your link yesterday. Not getting anywhere near the results you are though. It seems to be one of those styles that works on some shots but not others. I'm combining it with the surreal technique you can get out of lightroom with some very interesting results.

Your images have inspired me to try new things, Thank you. Got any more? I'd love to see them. Hope you don't mind me "Borrowing" some of your ideas.

Thanks
09-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice effect indeed - I really like #2 , you're right the white birch really adds some contrast.

09-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Thanks for posting more images of your technique. This is in the "Orton" style right? I've been working on it since you posted your link yesterday. Not getting anywhere near the results you are though. It seems to be one of those styles that works on some shots but not others. I'm combining it with the surreal technique you can get out of lightroom with some very interesting results.

Your images have inspired me to try new things, Thank you. Got any more? I'd love to see them. Hope you don't mind me "Borrowing" some of your ideas.

Thanks
Thank you all for your generous comments. I will try to answer your questions by starting with regken's comments, which you should heed. Don't expect miracles, experiment and try your best. See what works for you.

Here is my work process, which will be more familiar to anyone using 'photoshop Elements', not to be confused with the full blown and expensive "photoshop Cs3.' Elements is well worth the cost, about 90 dollars or so and will do most anything most people need. Of course you can use the larger version.

1) take any photo, but try to stay away from photos with a lot of black areas, or areas of white that appear as blown out highlights, and open it.
2) go to layers and select 'duplicate layer'. You should now have two images one under the other in the side panel.

3) Next go to second image in side panel and activate it. Select 'filter' and choose 'blur, then 'Gausian blur.' Choose betwen 10-30 pixels (just a guide for now). You can always alter this later.

4) Next go to main image and in side panel under 'normal', click and select 'multiply.' What happens is one image is superimposed on the other and it will show in the main working area. The photo will appear dark and underexposed. This is as it should be.

5) activate one of the images and go to Enhance in main panel. Choose lighting and play with lighting until the image is about half the proper exposure. Do the same with the second image. Now you will see a supersaturated image that looks like it is reasonably exposed. If not, play with the lighing until it looks good to you.

6) If you now activate the main image in the side panel, you have the option of selecting 'opacity'. Essentially this makes the main image semi-tranparent and allows the background layer (image) to come through. In this case it is the image with the Gausian blur. Raise or lower opacity to taste, as you can see the results in the main panel. Warning(!), excessive blurring is not all its cracked up to be, so be judicious. And remember, the image without using opacity slider is already partly blurred and should look light and glowing and you may not want to use the the opacity at all.

There are other ways to accomplish the same or similar results, if you experiment with your program. Finally, if you do not start with a reasonably good image, don't expect good results.

I hope this helps. For more go to the site featuring photographer Andre Gallant- http://www.andregallant.com/new_galleries/montages/montages.html.

Good luck!

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 09-21-2008 at 02:10 PM.
09-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks JMR... I have elements 6 and I will give it a try once I have a proper photo to use... JIMBO
09-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great stuff! i'll take your word for it on #1 because it is gorgeous!