Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
The Henry Ford Museum - Autos 1
Posted By: reh321, 09-08-2018, 05:16 AM

My family spent last weekend at The Henry Ford museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan. The Henry Ford, as they call it, is much more than a auto museum - Henry originally constructed the complex as a tribute to Thomas Edison - but they do have a significant collection of automobiles. Usually I look at the other things - American kitchens, farm equipment, airplanes, railroads, etc - but this time I spent a partial day with the cars. Here is the first third of the ones I found to be most interesting.

1. 1903 Packard Model F - this car was second car to drive coast-to-coast in US {I guess first one was unavailable .... even to Ford money}

2. 1904 Ford Model A runabout

3. 1905 Ford Model B touring car

4. 1906 Rapid bus - ancestor of modern "shuttle buses" .... was used by hotels to take guests to train station

5. 1908 Stevens-Duryea Model U limosine - driver in open front .... important passengers in closed back {similar to how fancy carriages were built}

Attached Images

Last edited by reh321; 09-08-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Views: 1,264
09-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very good and interesting series and well captured too.
09-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great images that show us some beautiful machines that were status symbols and advanced transportation.
09-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You captured the feeling of the place and history well. I really like your shot of he one with mud on it.

09-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice series, the 1908 model is particularly attractive and you are quite correct, designers seem to be still looking back to the stagecoach era, though to be fair they might not have been able to solve the problems with getting what looks like the gear/brake assembly into the cab.
09-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Very nice series, the 1908 model is particularly attractive and you are quite correct, designers seem to be still looking back to the stagecoach era, though to be fair they might not have been able to solve the problems with getting what looks like the gear/brake assembly into the cab.
Thank you for your comments.

The Village offers Model-T rides, and one of the things you learn there is that automobile design/controls wasn't standardized until the 1920s. The Model-T, for example, had three pedals, but one shifted between forward / reverse, and second shifted between low and higher, and the third was the brake ..... the throttle was on the steering column. I'm guessing the designers had all kinds of adventures during these years as they found one solution after another to issues that we just take for granted today.
09-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A very good and interesting series and well captured too.
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Great images that show us some beautiful machines that were status symbols and advanced transportation.
QuoteOriginally posted by jays0n Quote
You captured the feeling of the place and history well. I really like your shot of he one with mud on it.
Thank you all for your comments. My second series of photos is now at
The Henry Ford Museum - Autos 2 - PentaxForums.com

09-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots. I was there when I was a boy and always found it an interesting place, as was the Dearborn Village.
09-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Nice shots. I was there when I was a boy and always found it an interesting place, as was the Dearborn Village.
Thank you for your comments.

I have posted my third, and final, series here
The Henry Ford Museum - Autos 3 - PentaxForums.com