Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
B&w images group thread #2
Posted By: FHPhotographer, 09-21-2008, 09:21 AM

Hopefully, you've picked up the link from the first thread and read the groups rules. If not, go here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/37338-new-b-w-images-group.html . Here's an image to get the thread started (sorry, forgot it in the OP) ...

converted in PS using Channel Mixer monochrome 60/20/20. I was trying to sharp image within the image by throwing the mirror frame out of focus, but it didn't work as well as intended.
Thanks for looking in,
FHPhotographer

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 09-21-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: repost with image
Views: 3,992
09-21-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like B&W with old wood. This was first cropped, converted to B&W with colour filter (red-blue if I remember right), then sharpened and added some contrast.

Last edited by gawan; 09-21-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo
09-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is another attempt. A living, but damaged tree I saw on a hike through Babler Park this spring. Desaturated in PSE 3, decided to add a little grain, a little sharpening and contrast adjustments.

original

09-21-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Another older one I never got around to posting. This time a straight desaturate in ufraw, sharpen to bring out the grain, then a slight S applied to the saturation curve and tighenting of each end of the histogram. Think I applied a selenium overtone in Digikam and that's about it. Original was handhelf in the semi-dark, K10, FA 50mm, f1.7, iso1600 @ 1/15s exposure.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by jamonation; 09-21-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: forgot ufraw
09-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
stratman... I'm curious, how do you get/post images wioth the "click and enlarge" feature. Several posters use it and it works very well; could it be set up so the color insert could be enlarged as well? Thanks for any information on this,
FHPhotographer
09-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
stratman... I'm curious, how do you get/post images wioth the "click and enlarge" feature. Several posters use it and it works very well; could it be set up so the color insert could be enlarged as well? Thanks for any information on this,
FHPhotographer
It's the rightmost button in the editor, the one that looks like a mountain in a frame. It will wrap the image in the [IMGWIDE] tags.
09-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
selenium overtone in Digikam ?

QuoteOriginally posted by jamonation Quote
Another older one I never got around to posting. This time a straight desaturate, sharpen to bring out the grain, then a slight S applied to the saturation curve and tighenting of each end of the histogram. Think I applied a selenium overtone in Digikam and that's about it. Original was in the semi-dark, K10, FA 50mm, f1.7, iso1600 @ 1/15s exposure.

I like this although I think I'd want to crop some and lighten the shadows... not better that way, just different. Also, what is "selenium overtone in Digikam" ?
Thanks,
FHPhotog

09-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
filters?

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I like B&W with old wood. This was first cropped, converted to B&W with colour filter (red-blue if I remember right), then sharpened and added some contrast.
What conversion program? I like this a lot and I'd like to play around with the filtering idea. Thanks,
FHPhotographer
09-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks, jamonation, but which "editor"? I'm donwloading and loading images from photobucket using the "copy image" feature then pasting it into the post. Do you download to this forums albums first, then do this? I'll play around with it,
fhphotog
09-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like this although I think I'd want to crop some and lighten the shadows... not better that way, just different. Also, what is "selenium overtone in Digikam" ?
Thanks,
FHPhotog
Yeah, I think this is one of those that i disliked at first but now looking back there are a few different ways to post process it. Will have to try cropping out the left part and bump the levels with that highlight gone.

Here's a screenshot of the selenium filter. The film tab has 20 or so presets for various Agfa, Ilford and Kodak films too -- really great way to add a subtle grain or character to an image, Ilford HP5 being my favourite of course since that's what I like to use with my K1000
Attached Images

09-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What conversion program? I like this a lot and I'd like to play around with the filtering idea. Thanks,
FHPhotographer
I prefer Picasa over Photoshop in B&W conversions, Picasa has a nice colour palette, where you can move the mouse cursor and see live the resulting B&W filtering effect. The chosen colour can really make difference, as you can see from this simple example (original, red filter, green filter):

Last edited by gawan; 09-21-2008 at 03:13 PM.
09-22-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's one with the kit 50-200mm, shot through a dirty window to get some noise and distortions, at ISO1600 as well. Straight desaturate in UFRAW and slight increase in contrast. Have a 24x36" print on the way with 2/3rds of a stop increase in EV. Somehow that doesn't burn out the floodlights too badly. I should correct this one and repost it.

09-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It's the rightmost button in the editor, the one that looks like a mountain in a frame. It will wrap the image in the [IMGWIDE] tags.
Use caution with [IMGWIDE] tags. They work best with if the image is actually wider than the presentation width. If the image is too narrow, the displayed image looks really crappy.

Steve
09-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting technique

Here's one with the kit 50-200mm, shot through a dirty window to get some noise and distortions, at ISO1600 as well. Straight desaturate in UFRAW and slight increase in contrast. Have a 24x36" print on the way with 2/3rds of a stop increase in EV. Somehow that doesn't burn out the floodlights too badly. I should correct this one and repost it.
Well your approach worked for the subject, it has the kind of gritty cityscape feel that really works. Interesting technique, I'd like to see a redo and the color original,
FHPhotog
09-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting effect...

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Here is another attempt. A living, but damaged tree I saw on a hike through Babler Park this spring. Desaturated in PSE 3, decided to add a little grain, a little sharpening and contrast adjustments.
Sure looks like more than a little bit of this n' that... it's close to coming apart when enlarged, but it would be a handy technique for just that for this specific effect. What's the original exposure and ISO?
FHPhotog