Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Camping, Grand kids and Glow sticks
Lens: 18 -135 WR Camera: K5 iis Photo Location: Woodland WA ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: JimmyL, 09-12-2018, 10:24 PM

A friend brought a box of glow sticks to our family camp out. Lots of kids spinning and twirling. I just held the camera steady - setting it on the handle of a stroller. I held the shutter open for awhile. The last two are of bikes with glow sticks on the wheels and other places.
These are jpgs right out of the camera with no editing.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by JimmyL; 09-12-2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Views: 1,159
09-13-2018, 03:33 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting pics. They raise the question of how difficult it would be to choreograph an image using people with glow sticks. If wrapping beaches or monuments in cling wrap can be passed off as "art" then the challenge of creating a light painting from the transient path of glow sticks could be the next big thing. The twist is that you can only view it after the event through the pixels that were recorded during the event. This is a different take on the problem of Schrödinger's cat (How do we know if the cat exists when we are not there to observe it?). In this case we cannot observe the image in its entirety in real time but we know it was created because we can see it afterwards. (Maybe I need to have a few more drinks before I explore that further. )
09-13-2018, 06:35 AM   #3
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like a lot of fun was had.
09-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Too bad you did not have these shots before this month's contest. I liked them a lot, and they define "motion at night"

09-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice set! I especially like how the bike turned out in the last one, it's reminiscent of a lightcycle from Tron.

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
The twist is that you can only view it after the event through the pixels that were recorded during the event. This is a different take on the problem of Schrödinger's cat (How do we know if the cat exists when we are not there to observe it?). In this case we cannot observe the image in its entirety in real time but we know it was created because we can see it afterwards.
Olympus (and possibly other brands?) has a "Live Bulb/Time" mode that will show an image progressing midway through a long exposure and eliminates any philosophical paradox.
09-13-2018, 10:24 AM   #6
GRB
Pentaxian

What a great idea. A fun time for grandparent and the children.
09-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to do that, but we never got quite so creative. Good work.

09-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Interesting shots! Looks like fun
09-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Interesting pics. They raise the question of how difficult it would be to choreograph an image using people with glow sticks. If wrapping beaches or monuments in cling wrap can be passed off as "art" then the challenge of creating a light painting from the transient path of glow sticks could be the next big thing. The twist is that you can only view it after the event through the pixels that were recorded during the event. This is a different take on the problem of Schrödinger's cat (How do we know if the cat exists when we are not there to observe it?). In this case we cannot observe the image in its entirety in real time but we know it was created because we can see it afterwards. (Maybe I need to have a few more drinks before I explore that further. )
Yes, after seeing how these turned out - you could have someone twirl and slowly walk ahead - or twirl them and gradually change angle. I had the kids ride the bikes toward me. So there would be a place for "planned time lapse."

---------- Post added 09-13-18 at 02:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyL Quote
Yes, after seeing how these turned out - you could have someone twirl and slowly walk ahead - or twirl them and gradually change angle. I had the kids ride the bikes toward me. So there would be a place for "planned time lapse."
I was really amazed at the saturated colors. I didn't think we could capture images like this without generating them on a computer.
Thanks for all the nice replies.
09-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Capturing fun. Well done.