Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
13 Likes  #1
My wife is a hummer nurse...
Lens: tamron 90mm macro Camera: k70 Photo Location: Montgomery, AL 
Posted By: Knock, 09-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Today in Walmart my wife was walking down the pet food aisle. She noticed what looked like a plastic humming bird on the dirty floor, but after a closer look there was nothing plastic about it. She quickly picked it up before it became Walmart roadkill, and drove home with the ailing hummer in her open palm. The poor fella was exhausted, wiped out, and depleted. Once home we offered it some nectar, and the hummer lazily ate a snack from our spoon. After nearly 30 minutes of snacking and resting in my wife's hand the friendly hummer gave her a wink and a nod of its' head, and then flew away slowly. My wife is awesome.

Attached Images

Views: 1,702
09-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

She sure is...what a very nice, kind lady.
09-14-2018, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very lucky little bird - and a clever lady. They are so tiny and consume their energy so rapidly that I guess if they get caught in the wrong place with no food source they will not last long.
09-14-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

That's amazing all around!

09-14-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great wife!
09-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Poor little girl (it's a hen), she must have taken a wrong turn in the garden center and zipped through an open door. Many thanks to you and your wife for looking after her.

I had to take my feeders down because of the storm, and when I looked out the window this morning, there was a hummer looking back at me (immature male, one of "my" chicks from this year) I will pretend that he was trying to get my attention to complain about the lack of feeders. I dug out the sturdiest feeder I have, and bungee-corded it to the railing supports so that it wouldn't flop around in the wind. Even in a hurricane, a bird needs fuel.
09-15-2018, 01:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not hummingbird photos you usually see...thank you so much for posting them...they are adorable little creatures.

09-15-2018, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Our hummers just left a few days ago. The feeders aren't going down anymore. We had one straggler who stayed a few extra days, but even that one is gone nw. As soon as the nights get cold, the hummers are gone.
09-15-2018, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Being just a bit further south-west than you Norm we have still had hummer activity at our feeder this week but I am guessing that will stop anytime now. We are a last chance to feed before the big water crossing so we tend to leave our feeder(s) up until the first frosts and get them back up as soon as the snow has gone in the spring so there is food available when they return.
09-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your wife is terrific. What a happy story too.
09-15-2018, 07:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. My wife's compassion is immeasurable. I've watched her free snakes stuck in glue traps, help turtles find the other side of the road, relocate spiders found inside the house to a better location without killing them, take in lost dogs...it goes on and on. She loves nature and it loves her back.
09-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
My wife is a hummer nurse...
That's a great wee tale, some fine images too.
09-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

An awesome story, with great images to accompany it
09-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
Today in Walmart my wife was walking down the pet food aisle. She noticed what looked like a plastic humming bird on the dirty floor, but after a closer look there was nothing plastic about it. She quickly picked it up before it became Walmart roadkill, and drove home with the ailing hummer in her open palm. The poor fella was exhausted, wiped out, and depleted. Once home we offered it some nectar, and the hummer lazily ate a snack from our spoon. After nearly 30 minutes of snacking and resting in my wife's hand the friendly hummer gave her a wink and a nod of its' head, and then flew away slowly. My wife is awesome.
"Nectar" - you mean the sugar water that goes into hummingbird feeders?
09-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

What a super story, and a super wife! Thanks for posting!