Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Wilson Creek
Lens: D FA* 50mm f/1.4 Camera: K1 Photo Location: British Columbia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Wheatfield, 09-15-2018, 06:09 PM

This is a 15 exposure focus stack shot with the K1 and D FA 50/1.4 lens at f/5.6 for 20 seconds per exposure. I combined a 6 stop ND filter and a polarizing filter to stretch the time out. More to come....
Comments welcome

Views: 629
09-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very nice! Probably the first good photo I have seen with this lens. Not sure why you didn't use f11 or more to help with depth of field and longer exposure but doesn't matter anyway.
09-16-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
Not sure why you didn't use f11
Cos there's no aperture ring...

09-16-2018, 06:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A real dreamy shot!

09-16-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Wilson Creek
How you enjoying this new piece a Pentax Star glass?

Is it living up to your expectations in real world photography use? as opposed to the "brick wall" testing that some folk here on the forum seem to get all involved with.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 09-16-2018 at 07:11 AM.
09-16-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Very nice! Probably the first good photo I have seen with this lens. Not sure why you didn't use f11 or more to help with depth of field and longer exposure but doesn't matter anyway.
The lens is best at 5.6 to 8 so I am biased to that aperture range.

---------- Post added 09-16-18 at 09:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote

Is it living up to your expectations in real world photography use? as opposed to the "brick wall" testing that some folk here on the forum seem to get all involved with.
Best lens ever, and like you I have some pretty fine glass. Using your naming convention, the D FA* 50/1.4 would be "The Goddess Athena" or some such.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 09-16-2018 at 08:26 AM.
09-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Best lens ever
That's good to hear....

"The Goddess Athena"
Now that's what I call high praise indeed, in Kerrowdown speak.
09-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's good to hear....

Now that's what I call high praise indeed, in Kerrowdown speak.
We'll see what the D FA* 85/1.4 looks like in a year or so. The 50 might get downgraded to Hera.
Either way, it is an extremely good lens.

09-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The 50 might get downgraded to Hera
Good luck with that, mutinies are never good news... well not in my harem that is.
09-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Brick wall 'photographers' don't deserve to own such gear. They have too much money for their own good. I couldn't justify owning this lens either because I'm a crap photographer!
09-19-2018, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I couldn't justify owning this lens either because I'm a crap photographer!
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? says Oddball.

https://youtu.be/ncbEucjsNFU?t=4
09-19-2018, 06:39 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the way this turned out! A very classy and elegant look using B&W. Bravo!
10-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? says Oddball.

Negative Waves Scenes from Kelly's Heroes Movie - YouTube
I knew straight away you were quoting Donald Sutherland without the YouTube link Kerrowdown 😀. The problem is the voices in my head explaining what a inferior person I am along with the black dog companion. Yesterday I brought out the camera along with 3 top lenses and never even opened the camera bag. Cycling back home I though why the hell do I have this gear and I can't justify keeping it... 😉
10-02-2018, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #14
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I knew straight away you were quoting Donald Sutherland without the YouTube link Kerrowdown 😀. The problem is the voices in my head explaining what a inferior person I am along with the black dog companion. Yesterday I brought out the camera along with 3 top lenses and never even opened the camera bag. Cycling back home I though why the hell do I have this gear and I can't justify keeping it... 😉
You need to sack the boy with the voice in the head... and go enjoy your photography.
10-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian

You need to sack the boy with the voice in the head... and go enjoy your photography.
Thank you and I will try! Living in grim Belfast doesn't help and there is nothing for the landscape photographer either.

The number of tourists bemuses me, they come for the boring Titanic (yawn!!! It is a ship that sank, so what), the dark hedges (no comment!) or to see political crap that wasn't even there during 'the troubles', seriously they paint all this stuff just for the tourists and the tour guides make up stories about it. 😥

I'd rather look for the Loch Ness monster! 😁