Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Harvest Festival and Powow at the Museum of Ontario Archaeology
Lens: Da55-300 Camera: K-S2 Photo Location: London, Ontario, Canada 
Posted By: Thagomizer, 09-17-2018, 07:49 PM

Shots taken at the Tenth Annual Harvest Festival and Powow at the Museum of Ontario Archaeology, London, Ontario, Canada. DA 55-300. (Cross posted from the DA zoom Club).

These are shots of some of the dancers. With some shots I concentrated on details of the regalia, others, portraits or full figure. Some experiments with slow shutter speed are included, too. Some even worked!

Women's Traditional:

[IMG][/IMG]

Jingle Dance:

Women's Fancy Shawl or Butterfly Dance:

Men's Traditional:

Men's Grass Dance:

Men's Fancy Dance:

Last edited by Thagomizer; 09-18-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Views: 1,115
09-18-2018, 03:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The details. The colors. The motion! Love this series.
09-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love the slow-shutter shots - they really capture the dynamic motions and flow of the dancers!

Something you rarely see, usually pics show the details frozen at an instant. Showing the flow is a great look at the dancers.
09-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for the kind comments. I have a lot of fun letting go of the illusion of control and letting light, motion and time play out in images like this.

09-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for posting. It's been way too long since I went to a Pow Wow, like at least 5 years, compare this to days when I attended 2 or 3 every year. Even though I haven't been for a while, some of the faces look familiar.
09-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'd been thinking about shooting the pow wow in exactly this way for a few years and finally got around to doing it. It was fun throwing caution to the wind and letting things flow across the sensor as they would. Backgrounds were tricky because I would sometimes end up with spectators wielding cell phones on the opposite side of the dance circle (sharpish because they're not moving) behind the motion-blurred dancers. Reality, yes, but a bit distracting for the impressionistic, lyrical and poetic vision I was looking for! Of course, I'll be showing up in lots of those cell phone photos and videos...
09-18-2018, 11:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Excellent! I enjoyed these and I like your creative use of shutter speeds. Well done!

09-18-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
An interesting set of images, unfortunately we don't have Pow Wows here.
09-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
An interesting set of images, unfortunately we don't have Pow Wows here.
No Highlands Festivals over there in the Highlands? Gatherings of the indigenous clans for songs, dances, and celebrations of the cultural values oppressed by by foreign invaders? 😉
09-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Gatherings of the indigenous clans for songs, dances, and celebrations of the cultural values oppressed by by foreign invaders?
Oh aye plenty, but can't comment on those events here on the forum... for fear of being deemed as too political.

09-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Interesting effects here, thanks for sharing with us
09-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all for the kind words. I'd been wanting to take shots like this for a few years and finally got around to doing it. It was fun to step away from how I usually do things.

---------- Post added 09-19-18 at 01:38 PM ----------

Details, details, details.

Same event, different focus.

Last edited by Thagomizer; 09-19-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added image