Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Grape Tomatoes.
Lens: D FA 100mm Macro WR Camera: K-70 
Posted By: DW58, 09-21-2018, 08:05 PM

The last of our grape tomatoes this year.

Views: 287
09-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done. I love fresh tomatoes. TFS
09-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great colours and the detail is good too
09-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Nicely done. I love fresh tomatoes. TFS
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Great colours and the detail is good too
Thank you both for your comments. Always sad to see the summer produce come to an end. On the bright side the cold season crops are looking good.

09-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish I was able to grow veggies again but my health just doesn't let me till and tend a garden anymore. And I so miss my fresh tomatoes, and fresh greens.
09-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I wish I was able to grow veggies again but my health just doesn't let me till and tend a garden anymore. And I so miss my fresh tomatoes, and fresh greens.
I'd bet you can grow more than you think. There are a lot of herbs and veggies that do very well in containers. It all starts with buying good seed and good soil. For almost 20 years we've bought seeds from R.H. Shumay. Always had close to 100% germination. And they have a great retro catalog. Soil? Can't help you there. That's a local decision you have to make. Winter is close at hand so you have plenty of time to research container growing before spring.

I've seen some of your photographs here on PF. Obviously you know what you're doing behind the camera. Trust me. Growing herbs and vegetables is no more complicated than figuring out if you want a fast shutter speed or wider DOF. Growing you own food, no matter how much or how little, is fun and enjoyable. Give container growing a shot. What have you got to lose?
09-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing with photography is I don't have to do it every day, but with gardening, I would have to tend to it every day, or at least make sure it had water and sunlight every day even in containers. Here the soil is sandy. I live in Florida. There is no chance of trying to grow a garden in the summer and spring doesn't stay spring like in Oregon, it gets hot here pretty quick. Our best growing season is in the fall, and the last tomatoes we had were grew then, I didn't do it, my nephew did. That was two years ago.

My brother tried container growing and it didn't work for him. We're all getting older now I'm almost 70 and he's over 70. My legs don't work like they did when I was even 10 years younger.
09-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The thing with photography is I don't have to do it every day, but with gardening, I would have to tend to it every day, or at least make sure it had water and sunlight every day even in containers. Here the soil is sandy. I live in Florida. There is no chance of trying to grow a garden in the summer and spring doesn't stay spring like in Oregon, it gets hot here pretty quick. Our best growing season is in the fall, and the last tomatoes we had were grew then, I didn't do it, my nephew did. That was two years ago.

My brother tried container growing and it didn't work for him. We're all getting older now I'm almost 70 and he's over 70. My legs don't work like they did when I was even 10 years younger.
I understand completely. I'll be turning 60 in November. There is no doubt that the climate is considerably different between the Northwest and the Southeast of this country. I have a friend that I met when I was 12 when the folks moved us to northwest Wyoming. He now lives on the gulf side of Florida making a good living harvesting Stone crab. Patrick tells me he does not plant a garden either.

So I guess all there is left to say is if you find yourself visiting Oregon sometime in the future, about this time of year, stop by our place for a fresh salad.

Dave.

09-22-2018, 04:35 AM   #9
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
The last of our grape tomatoes this year.
How do you know these are the last? Did a hard freeze hit already? {that is not likely to happen here for another month .... and the tomatoes growing in containers on our porch will continue to produce ones and twos until then}
09-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How do you know these are the last? Did a hard freeze hit already? {that is not likely to happen here for another month .... and the tomatoes growing in containers on our porch will continue to produce ones and twos until then}
How do I know these are the last of our grape tomatoes? Easy. No flowers. We planted just eight tomato plants this year. Only one grape variety. When we operated the farm we'd plant around 100. Mostly heirlooms.
09-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot, mine are still going too.
09-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well done (on the growing tomatoes and the photo)
09-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Great shot, mine are still going too.
Was kind of a rough tomato year for us. We planted our slicers late and now are just starting to ripen. Lots of green tomatoes. Our cherry tomatoes, like this one, got uprooted by moles. Twice. They recovered but didn't do great.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Well done (on the growing tomatoes and the photo)
Thank you bertwert. We're big fans of fresh tomatoes. Of course every fruit and vegetable tastes better fresh.