Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Nevermore
Lens: Tokina AT-X 100-300/4 Camera: K5ii Photo Location: Seattle, WA ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: troika, 09-24-2018, 03:39 PM

Views: 209
09-26-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this Sheryl, back willing to be friends again?
09-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sheryl is back. I'm feeding her, but not thrusting the camera in her face as much, so that she's more comfortable here. I'll get back to some pictures of her at some point.

This is not Sheryl, though. I'm pretty sure that this is a Raven, rather than a crow. Hard to tell from this photo, but in one of the others, I could see the beak from above and it looks more Raven like.
09-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
This is not Sheryl, though. I'm pretty sure that this is a Raven, rather than a crow. Hard to tell from this photo, but in one of the others, I could see the beak from above and it looks more Raven like.
The thing that impressed us about ravens is their size. The first time we saw any was when we took our then-two-year-old daughter to the Grand Canyon - my wife commented that they seemed almost large enough to carry our daughter off with them.

09-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The only ravens I've ever been aware that I was seeing were at the Tower of London and they were spectacular. I've been reading about crows and ravens and while the later are not common in Seattle, they are around us in the mountains and country.

The feathers on top of the beak on this on this one make me think it's a raven. I had a worse picture that showed this more clearly, but I cleared it off of my card. This bird was pretty high up in a tree, so I couldn't get a sense of size. I thought it was a crow until I looked at it in Lightroom and it still could be for all I know.

EDIT: I looked back and my book and I think that this is a crow, not a raven. A big one, probably a male, but not a raven.

Last edited by troika; 09-26-2018 at 07:23 PM.
09-29-2018, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Corvid fan here. Definitely a crow. Looking forward to more pics!