Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Pentax takes 1st & 2nd place in 2 classes at VLF competition!!! (4 images total)
Posted By: Marc Langille, 09-22-2008, 12:15 PM

Four images will be published when the book goes to print next July/August, and the dedication ceremony will be next September… (the Canon shots garnered two 3rd places). This is the FIRST time (to my knowledge) that the images from a Pentax system has ever placed in the VLF Wildlife Photo Competition, let alone placing 1st and 2nd in two classes!!!

Over 1400 images were submitted for this competition. I came in 13th overall (there was a tie for 10th/11th), which is the top third in the event, yet I only submitted in 2/3 of the classes (I still submitted 50 images, but sometimes 2 in a class). Positions 9th à 13th were all within 81 points of each other. Those ranged from 805 à 886 points (9th à 13th place). The overall winner garnered 1221 points.

Everyone who finished ahead of me has been doing the competition since 1990, so they have 18+ years experience, 9 competitions, and local knowledge under their belt. In contrast, I took a 7 month layoff from photography for various reasons, and had less than 1.5 years of serious shooting under my belt.

To put further perspective on my results:

36 days in a 70 day period were allocated for the competition (it lasted 90 days)
8 days lost due to travel = 28 days left.
10 days lost due to no tripod/binoculars (*) = 18 days left.
3-4 days lost due to poor weather (45mph winds, etc.) = 14 days left.

Therefore I had ~14 days of really good photographic opportunities within the 90 day competition period.

(*)The box I shipped the tripod in arrived damaged, and the binoculars were missing. Therefore I had to send it to the shipper for a manifest inspection to file the claim. It eventually ended up with 5 tracking numbers, and was out of my hands for 33 days...

Images, starting with the 3rd places, and moving up... again, no cropping.

3rd place, Wading Birds - Great White Egret:

EXIF Info:
Date Taken 2008-04-25 00:00:00
Camera Canon EOS 40D
Exposure Time 0.0002s (1/4000)
Aperture f/6.3
ISO 640
Focal Length 500mm (800mm in 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 3888 x 2592

3rd place, Mustelids and Raccoons - Raccoon:

EXIF Info:
Date Taken 2008-05-13 18:45:49
Camera Canon EOS 40D
Exposure Time 0.0015s (1/640)
Aperture f/5.6
ISO 1000
Focal Length 500mm (800mm in 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 3888 x 2592

2nd place, Spiders and Arachnids – Orb Weaver (cleaning itself after a meal):

EXIF Info:
Date Taken 2008-06-07 22:00:57
Camera PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K20D
Exposure Time 0.0055s (1/180)
Aperture f/22.0
ISO 100
Focal Length 200mm (300mm 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 4672 x 3104

1st place, Butterflies I (aka Skippers):

EXIF Info:
Date Taken 2008-06-07 13:15:06
Camera PENTAX Corporation PENTAX K10D
Exposure Time 0.0008s (1/1250)
Aperture f/7.1
ISO 320
Focal Length 200mm (300mm 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 3872 x 2592

More good news! I just got a letter confirming the ranch owner wants to decorate his new cabin (just recently built or about to be built) with 10-15 of my images (8x10). That means I've pulled in ~$1000 between prize money and this order. It's not covered my costs, but my portfolio has certainly improved! All considering I am a rookie - especially in wildlife photography...

I have certainly come back from the experience with a much better understanding (by no means complete) of how to photograph and when to photograph. April through May were very overcast and very windy - less than ideal conditions. Even June was windy, so macro was difficult (what little I could shoot).

The moral of the story is that you should never give up - and with the tripod fiasco I certainly considered quitting on a couple of times. My two top places (with Pentax) were taken in the last week of my final trip...

Regards,
Marc

NB: If you are interested in looking at any of the other images submitted, but did not place, you can look at the threads I've started. The competition was very tough this year! If there is interest, I'll post an edit to this thread.

Last edited by Marc Langille; 09-22-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: correction in class - wading and shore birds are separate
Views: 12,560
10-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Fine work Marc. Who knows what the future holds. Good luck in your endeavours.

JMR

Thank you JMR! I am hoping this is the beginning of a positive future.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
This is great news, congratulations Marc. So it is not only us, who think that you take superb pictures
Thank you Sune!

I've posted a link to the winning images from all categories - thought you might like to see them for yourself!

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Congratulations Marc, The timing for the Great White Egret is superor! The angry Raccoon is quite scary :P
Thanks! The raccoon is eating something - just the way his tongue hid the food and having some difficulty chewing it...

Cheers,
Marc

10-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks, and a perspective of things

QuoteOriginally posted by CycloneBandDad Quote
Echoing the others who have already replied, Congratulations! Your work is superb, no matter what the gear, and I am sure you'll be doing even better work in the future... Thanks so much for sharing the story and the results!

Jim
QuoteOriginally posted by Nitrok Quote
Well done Marc. Photos are great!
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing your victories.
Thank you Jim, Joni and Robin!

I am even more surprised and pleased at how I did, given the obstacles in my way! Makes you wonder had I seen better luck (than indicated in my original post)...

Regards,
Marc
10-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
I would be beyond questioning my sanity, I would be the one making cook-cook noises :ugh:

I’m not surprised that these shots of yours made it, they are great work.

(The former Pentaxian Mattias Klum, set his record with 24 hours in a hide. But he was being sponsored by NGM, and was making big money on it. As I mentioned, I made a thread about some of his work :
Pentax pioneer (long post): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review )

Nice things to keep in mind, but I continue having trouble with nr. 5

The Pro Andy Biggs works out of Africa, where he is a guide to photographer tours. This is his website :
Andy Biggs African Photo Safaris
Thanks Sune and I read that post with interest... Sorry to hear about #5...

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Yeah, if you ever feel the need to let loose of that FA*200 macro, I'm first in line ok?!?
As far as the AIR, they would be silly not to accept you. You are a shoo in imho!
Hmmm... OK... uh, maybe...??

Thanks LaRee and I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Marc
10-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #34
jeffkpotter

You're a class act! Perfect shots.

11-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
You're a class act! Perfect shots.
Thanks Jeff! I'm quite happy with the result, given the fact that I am a relative rookie to folks finishing ahead of me.

Regards,
Marc
11-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #36
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marc, I hadn't noticed this thread before. I hope it isn't too late to congratulate you! Those shots are what I would call "once in a life time" shots, very well done!
11-02-2008, 09:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good for you Marc. Might I add my congratulations. You clearly have a talent and passion for photography. This sort of "official" validation must be very gratifying.

Tom G

11-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Marc, I hadn't noticed this thread before. I hope it isn't too late to congratulate you! Those shots are what I would call "once in a life time" shots, very well done!
A sincere thank you Ole! You are not "too late"... Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Good for you Marc. Might I add my congratulations. You clearly have a talent and passion for photography. This sort of "official" validation must be very gratifying.

Tom G
Thank you Tom - I sincerely appreciate those words. It's been a tough one, and I am very happy with the results, given the relatively short time span I had to shot in.

Regards,
Marc
02-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
CONGRATULATIONS MARC!

While I am very happy for you--you deserve it, I am not the least bit surprised--I have seen your work. I expect to see even greater laurels for you in the future. Best!
02-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #40

Outstanding shot from you.
Well done and keep it up.
02-17-2009, 04:39 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Outstanding Marc!! ... and concrats

As an outdoor person I love your work and also your helpful & patient advice and work here in forums. Thanks Marc!
02-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations, Marc!

I don't know what VLF is or understand those day calculations but those are killer photographs--despite the "Pentax handicap"
02-17-2009, 05:39 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
been away due to my cam at the repairer being cleaned and new focusing screen, and what a nice thing to see when i pop in for a visit marc

Well done mate

Taff
02-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
CONGRATULATIONS MARC!

While I am very happy for you--you deserve it, I am not the least bit surprised--I have seen your work. I expect to see even greater laurels for you in the future. Best!
Thank you very much! I am hoping the future remains bright...

QuoteOriginally posted by fadzil karim Quote
Outstanding shot from you.
Well done and keep it up.
Thank you fadzil!

Regards,
Marc
02-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #45
Thumper473

Marc,
WOW! What an achievement! I am fairly new to this forum but I am learning what a true artist you are with your Pentax. Congratulations!

Sincerely,
Eric