Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
For Orangutan Lovers - More Pics of Orangs Plus Some Forest Friends
Lens: 55-300 Camera: K3 II Photo Location: Indonesia 
Posted By: sealonsf, 09-28-2018, 10:03 AM

A few more photos of orangutans in Sumatra from my recent jungle trek in Indonesia - just can't help but share as I process the photos. They are so much fun to see in the wild - these orangs are "semi-wild" which means some were ex-captive and now have offspring who are also used to humans. But they are completely free to roam on their own now.

1. Adorable baby holding on tight.

2. Shouldn't that photographer back up a bit?

3. Relaxed.

4. Does he think we can't see him behind the tree?

5. Portrait from the side.

6. The path.

7. Peek-a-boo.

8. Macaques near the first campsite.

9. Campsite

10. Macaque - love the look on its face!

11. Monitor lizard - we saw several of these big fellas.

12. Loved to see them climb through the trees - they don't jump like monkeys - they have to bend the trees to get around from one to the other so you can hear them approaching from a long way away.

13. Gibbon

Last edited by sealonsf; 09-28-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Views: 366
09-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Love these! Especially the "portrait" shots. Great expressions! That #5 shot makes you wish you could speak with him.
09-28-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GinaC Quote
Love these! Especially the "portrait" shots. Great expressions! That #5 shot makes you wish you could speak with him.
Thanks for commenting. They are very human like for sure! Most of the time they just glance at you and don't like to stare right at you.
09-28-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More great shots! The eyes say a lot. They just take you in and return to whatever they are doing. We saw a female with a baby at Sepilok who pulled a bag away from a woman (we were told strictly NOT to take in things like that). Anyway the orangutan unzipped it with her lips and proceeded to take everything out. Gave a biro to the baby who went swinging in the bamboo with the biro in its mouth. Took out the passport and flicked through it - thank goodness she didn't tear it! And then she came to the little packet of tissues. She pulled them out one by one and patted her face with them. Very funny although the woman who owned the bag was having conniptions! The week previously the same orangutan had taken a fancy to a wonan's blouse and pulled it off her - which is why we were told to just move away and keep a respectable separation distance. It is not until you see them up close and personal (and your experience has been amazing) that you realise how special they are.

09-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
More great shots! The eyes say a lot. They just take you in and return to whatever they are doing. We saw a female with a baby at Sepilok who pulled a bag away from a woman (we were told strictly NOT to take in things like that). Anyway the orangutan unzipped it with her lips and proceeded to take everything out. Gave a biro to the baby who went swinging in the bamboo with the biro in its mouth. Took out the passport and flicked through it - thank goodness she didn't tear it! And then she came to the little packet of tissues. She pulled them out one by one and patted her face with them. Very funny although the woman who owned the bag was having conniptions! The week previously the same orangutan had taken a fancy to a wonan's blouse and pulled it off her - which is why we were told to just move away and keep a respectable separation distance. It is not until you see them up close and personal (and your experience has been amazing) that you realise how special they are.
Love that story. When we were there, a female orangutan was sneaking up on a backpack in front of a lot of people. It was really funny to watch because I think she really thought she could get by with it. She wasn't successful. I'd heard that they can grab backpacks so I made sure I had no food in my bag. I do think that people get way too close to them. I always carefully, and slowly, but definitely backed away anytime one came near me. It's amazing how you can see that they have distinct personalities too. I agree that they take a quick look at you and then go about their business. I can't imagine what they think of humans.