Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Low light, want 2.8 plus wide DoF?
Lens: n/a Camera: Pentax XG-1 Photo Location: South Algonquin Township ISO: 200 Aperture: F2.8 
Posted By: normhead, 09-30-2018, 09:45 AM

These images would have to have had a tripod and many second exposures shot on a DsLR, but the XG-1 6mmx 4.5 (6x crop) sensor lets you do both, 2.8 and wide depth of field. If you're taking a walk under the canopy and want to shoot hand held to avoid slowing everyone else down, it's a nice choice. Or if you just want a camera that feels like a feather compared to a DSLR, also a great choice.

It's hard to match these resuilts with a DSLR, and I'd venture, probably impossible, without a lot more effort and diffraction.

Views: 443
09-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's an excellent set, Norm. Beautiful

And, yes... There are situations where a relatively compact, small sensor camera with fast aperture is the best tool for the job. The Panasonic DMC-FZ62 I bought from my Dad is my equivalent of your XG-1 and I've been surprised by how much I enjoy using it. At times, it can be a smarter and more practical choice than a DSLR. The same holds true for the Q-series cameras. Maybe not quite the same DOF benefits, but still a lot more depth than larger sensor cameras and their lenses can offer at the same aperture...
09-30-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even in low light these shots came out extremely well.
09-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very interesting, colorful and sharp series. Thanks so much for uploading.

TT

09-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's an excellent set, Norm. Beautiful

And, yes... There are situations where a relatively compact, small sensor camera with fast aperture is the best tool for the job. The Panasonic DMC-FZ62 I bought from my Dad is my equivalent of your XG-1 and I've been surprised by how much I enjoy using it. At times, it can be a smarter and more practical choice than a DSLR. The same holds true for the Q-series cameras. Maybe not quite the same DOF benefits, but still a lot more depth than larger sensor cameras and their lenses can offer at the same aperture...
I'm not absolutely certain but I think the Q uses the same size sensor. But when job one is walking the dogs a job 2 is pictures, lens changes are to be avoided at all costs.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Even in low light these shots came out extremely well.
I was more than pleased for sure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very interesting, colorful and sharp series. Thanks so much for uploading.

TT
No problem... that's what we do here.
09-30-2018, 06:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful!!!
10-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grzesiek Quote
Beautiful!!!