Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Abandoned Church
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Camera: K5IIs Photo Location: North Carolina USA ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: 7.62lew, 09-30-2018, 11:47 AM

Abandoned "Oaky Grove" church near me. Last used in 1949. Found some info about it (don't know how accurate the info is) Walnut Hill Historic District (Knightdale, North Carolina) - Wikipedia

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 7.62lew; 09-30-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Views: 545
09-30-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot. Thanks for the history. I see a lot of moiré in the pic as it appears here but not in the flickr shot. It must be something to do with the resizing.
09-30-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Most interesting photo. Could those who put the effort into building it, ever have imagined it being abandoned like this?
10-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shot. Thanks for the history. I see a lot of moiré in the pic as it appears here but not in the flickr shot. It must be something to do with the resizing.
Thanks! I try to put some information on my photo's so that people can dig a little deeper if they are interested. I'm not sure on the moire' as I don't see it on my end but I bet you are correct about the resizing.

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Most interesting photo. Could those who put the effort into building it, ever have imagined it being abandoned like this?
I'm sure it took a lot of work and time to build, especially for when it was built. I hope it survives. There is some talk that the elderly lady who owns it, plans on donating to the state so it can be saved, but you never know.

Thanks for the kind comments.

10-01-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice photo. Unfortunately there are a lot of churches in similar circumstances, particularly in small mid-western towns and rural areas. The folks have just moved on....
10-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I really quite like this shot, thanks for sharing
10-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #7

great shot, excellent light management, interesting sky
10-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very nice photo. Unfortunately there are a lot of churches in similar circumstances, particularly in small mid-western towns and rural areas. The folks have just moved on....
Thanks! I see too many old things torn down. Some with no attempt to salvage or re-purpose any of the materials. Such a waste.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I really quite like this shot, thanks for sharing
Thanks bertwert!

QuoteOriginally posted by amodali Quote
great shot, excellent light management, interesting sky
Thanks! I was out for a ride and managed to show up at a good time for the lighting and clouds.

10-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
Abandoned "Oaky Grove" church near me. Last used in 1949. Found some info about it (don't know how accurate the info is) Walnut Hill Historic District (Knightdale, North Carolina) - Wikipedia
The roof of this building looks very good - someone must be willing to put money into preservation.
« A marbled | Dalia »