Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Panorama from Skaha Bluffs in the Okanagan
Lens: HD DA 21 Ltd Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Skaha Bluffs ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: bertwert, 10-01-2018, 03:58 PM

Here's a try at a stitch with 11 shots from my 21 Ltd, I had it in manual mode to keep exposure identical, then I processed it in ICE and let the program do all the thinking. Obviously this is downsized quite a bit from the original. No tripod needed, I was hanging precariously from the top of a climb with my camera clipped to my harness as a safety measure. Let me know your thoughts

Views: 779
10-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My thoughts about the pic or what you went through to get it? Great pic and great PP work to put it all together. But the climb sounds like something way out of my territory!
10-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
My thoughts about the pic or what you went through to get it? Great pic and great PP work to put it all together. But the climb sounds like something way out of my territory!
Thanks, it was fun, and a nice easy climb, however there were wasps all over the wall, had to watch your finger placement. I may share some shots of climbers later.
10-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I was hanging precariously from the top of a climb with my camera clipped to my harness as a safety measure. Let me know your thoughts
there were wasps all over the wall, had to watch your finger placement.
As nice as your picture is (and it is very nice), I don't think it was worth risking getting stung for. Yellow jackets get especially vicious in the fall and your options for running away or spraying them with Raid are pretty limited.

---------- Post added 10-01-18 at 05:26 PM ----------

a stitch with 11 shots from my 21 Ltd
Did you overlap the shots quite a bit or did you crop the sides?

10-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
As nice as your picture is (and it is very nice), I don't think it was worth risking getting stung for. Yellow jackets get especially vicious in the fall and your options for running away or spraying them with Raid are pretty limited.
Thank you, no stings on this trip, three full days of climbing with 24 people, I was surprised at that.

They weren't yellow jackets, I think they were some kind of paper wasp, they all came out of the wall in the heat of the sun.
10-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Did you overlap the shots quite a bit or did you crop the sides?
Overlapped just under halfway, 6 on the top and 5 on the bottom (not sure how I managed that, I thought I was doing 6 and 6).
10-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice work! My climbing days are long behind me, but it is truly a thrill to make it up a challenging bit of rock...

10-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Nice work! My climbing days are long behind me, but it is truly a thrill to make it up a challenging bit of rock...
Thanks for commenting
10-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thoughts?
lThe shadows need to be lighter and the light is a little harsh. But it looks like one of those places where it would be great as a sunrise, but you wouldn't be able to get up in the dark, or a sunset, but you wouldn't be able to get down in the dark. An overnight is recommended.

And I've been stung a couple of times trying to get perfect camera angles. It's part of the experience.

That's not what I said right after I was stung, which would be mostly unprintable, so we'll just say I said _________ WASPS ___________! That pretty much sums it up if you fill in the blanks. Be creative.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by normhead; 10-03-2018 at 09:49 AM.
10-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Thoughts?
lThe shadows need to be lighter and the light is a little harsh. But it looks like one of those places where it would be great as a sunset, but you wouldn't be able to get up in the dark, or a sunset, but you wouldn't be able to get down in the dark. An overnight is recommended.

And I've been stung a couple of times trying to get perfect camera angles. It's part of the experience.

That's not what I said right after I was stung, which would be mostly unprintable, so we'll just say I said _________ WASPS ___________! That pretty much sums it up if you fill in the blanks. Be creative.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Norm
10-03-2018, 06:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful shot. Thanks for sharing. I downloaded the ICE program to try with my DA21, just haven't taken the time to try it out yet. Looks like you have got the hang of it...
10-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
Beautiful shot. Thanks for sharing. I downloaded the ICE program to try with my DA21, just haven't taken the time to try it out yet. Looks like you have got the hang of it...
That was my first try, and luckily it seemed to work nice.

Give it a go, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
10-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice! Looks like a great climbing spot!
10-05-2018, 04:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Very nice! Looks like a great climbing spot!
Thanks, it really is a good spot.