Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Melotte 15 Complex in Hydrogen-Alpha Light
Lens: 130/910mm refractor lens Camera: K3ii Photo Location: home balcony Ascheberg, Germany ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: Above 6s 
Posted By: Pete_XL, 10-05-2018, 12:35 AM

Melotte 15 is a cluster of young stars in the mid of the cloud complex IC1805 - the Heart Nebula - in the constellation Cassiopeia.

This is a so called narrowband image. Galactic cloud complexes that contain hydrogen-alpha gas send out light of a deep red wavelength when they receive strong radiation of nearby stars. The narrowband filter only lets through this wavelength and closes out all other colors and so also the light pollution.

The image was made from 56 images of 600s exposure @ ISO 800 with 12 nm Hydrogen-Alpha narrowband filter. The data were shot through a 130/910mm refractor with a stock Pentax K3ii.

Processing in Astro Pixel Processor and Photoshop CC2018

Views: 796
10-05-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This one is also cool but I wish I could view these side by side on a large monitor so that I could see how your two posts compare.
10-06-2018, 12:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
This one is also cool but I wish I could view these side by side on a large monitor so that I could see how your two posts compare.
In this case they only differ in color because I took the black&white hydrogen alpha data for 100% of the luminance information. So it delivers all of the details and contrast. The color shot was taken only for the color values and distribution.
10-02-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
Melotte 15 is a cluster of young stars in the mid of the cloud complex IC1805 - the Heart Nebula - in the constellation Cassiopeia.

This is a so called narrowband image. Galactic cloud complexes that contain hydrogen-alpha gas send out light of a deep red wavelength when they receive strong radiation of nearby stars. The narrowband filter only lets through this wavelength and closes out all other colors and so also the light pollution.

The image was made from 56 images of 600s exposure @ ISO 800 with 12 nm Hydrogen-Alpha narrowband filter. The data were shot through a 130/910mm refractor with a stock Pentax K3ii.

Processing in Astro Pixel Processor and Photoshop CC2018

Just amazing. This detail is astonishing for the telescopic view that it captures. Congratulations.

10-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Just amazing. This detail is astonishing for the telescopic view that it captures. Congratulations.
Glad you like it,