Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
K1, k2, k3, k4.. K-5
Camera: Pentax k-5 Photo Location: Pakistan 
Posted By: greenbaron, 10-05-2018, 03:21 AM

Hi all,

So I ordered that k2 k1 PF t-shirt (brilliant design) and it sent me on a nice trip down memory lane. In the summer of 2011 I joined a trek to the K2 base camp. This trek was also reason to make the jump from compact to dslr. The k-5 was just released and it's weather seal, ergonomics and sensor quality convinced me it was the body to go with. I've never regretted that decision. On this trek the plastic WR kit lenses went in the bag along with the da 10-17 fish eye and the sigma dc 17-50 f2.8. That sigma was on pretty much all the time, but it made way for the da 10-17 for panorama purposes on a few occasions. The trek is a formidable one. Hot, dry and unforgiving but as much rewarding.

#1 K1 / Masherbrum. Wide crop with lightroom modern 05 color profile

#2 K3 Gasherbrum IV.

#3 K2, Broad Peak and Gasherbrum IV at night, altitude 4500m. Feeling rather exhausted at that time I had to force myself out of the warm sleeping bag and tent to get dressed again and shoot the pictures. The fear of regret of a missed opportunity can be a strong motivator to move against comfort. 3x 120s 10mm f3.5 iso1600 panorama. Prioritised low iso but shutter speed was too long to prevent star trails. These settings did enable retrieving shadow detail in post. Stitched with ptgui pro.

#4 K2 and Broad Peak. Part of a hand held 360 panorama. 10mm 1/125s f14 iso80. Ptgui pro stitch. Recently re-stitched the panorama to get rid of the last stitch errors. I consider this my best / most rewarding photographic achievement since photography became hobby. https://www.360cities.net/image/broad-peak-basecamp-and-k2

#5 K2 in the clouds. Weather moved in and we had to leave one day early to cross a pass. This pass is the only location where Gasherbrum I / hidden peak / K5 can be seen on the trek. It's one of the total 14 peaks over 8000m of which 4 are located in this area. Unfortunately it remained hidden because of the weather but we did get an impressive last view of K2.

#6 K4 / Gasherbrum II. Another peak over 8000m+. The area is so congested with tall peaks it hardly looks like anything special..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,723
10-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by greenbaron Quote
Hi all,

So I ordered that k2 k1 PF t-shirt (brilliant design) and it sent me on a nice trip down memory lane. In the summer of 2011 I joined a trek to the K2 base camp. This trek was also reason to make the jump from compact to dslr. The k-5 was just released and it's weather seal, ergonomics and sensor quality convinced me it was the body to go with. I've never regretted that decision. On this trek the plastic WR kit lenses went in the bag along with the da 10-17 fish eye and the sigma dc 17-50 f2.8. That sigma was on pretty much all the time, but it made way for the da 10-17 for panorama purposes on a few occasions. The trek is a formidable one. Hot, dry and unforgiving but as much rewarding.

#1 K1 / Masherbrum. Wide crop with lightroom modern 05 color profile

#2 K3 Gasherbrum IV.

#3 K2, Broad Peak and Gasherbrum IV at night, altitude 4500m. Feeling rather exhausted at that time I had to force myself out of the warm sleeping bag and tent to get dressed again and shoot the pictures. The fear of regret of a missed opportunity can be a strong motivator to move against comfort. 3x 120s 10mm f3.5 iso1600 panorama. Prioritised low iso but shutter speed was too long to prevent star trails. These settings did enable retrieving shadow detail in post. Stitched with ptgui pro.

#4 K2 and Broad Peak. Part of a hand held 360 panorama. 10mm 1/125s f14 iso80. Ptgui pro stitch. Recently re-stitched the panorama to get rid of the last stitch errors. I consider this my best / most rewarding photographic achievement since photography became hobby. https://www.360cities.net/image/broad-peak-basecamp-and-k2

#5 K2 in the clouds. Weather moved in and we had to leave one day early to cross a pass. This pass is the only location where Gasherbrum I / hidden peak / K5 can be seen on the trek. It's one of the total 14 peaks over 8000m of which 4 are located in this area. Unfortunately it remained hidden because of the weather but we did get an impressive last view of K2.

#6 K4 / Gasherbrum II. Another peak over 8000m+. The area is so congested with tall peaks it hardly looks like anything special..
These are spectacular images! Having good equipment helps - but "Weegee" was correct ..... being there also is necessary.
10-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Wow! Excellent photographs.
10-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fantastic to see but too cold for me! Great pics.

10-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A very striking series of photographs. Wonderful stuff and thanks so much for sharing.

TT
10-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
These are spectacular images! Having good equipment helps - but "Weegee" was correct ..... being there also is necessary.
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Fantastic to see but too cold for me! Great pics.

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Wow! Excellent photographs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very striking series of photographs. Wonderful stuff and thanks so much for sharing.

TT