Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Grey Currawong
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: RobG, 10-07-2018, 01:50 AM

Grey Currawong
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 800
10-09-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Nice photo - from beak and eye, he appears to have the aggressive attitude of our Grackles.
10-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nice photo - from beak and eye, he appears to have the aggressive attitude of our Grackles.
Thanks! I've seen Grackles in the south-east of the USA. I think they're a bit smaller than Currawongs, but I can see the similarities. Despite their looks, Currawongs aren't aggressive toward people that I've ever seen. Lots of other Australian birds are, especially in spring - the worst offenders being the Australian Magpies, which will attack anything that moves near their nests.

PS The Grey Currawong is quite uncommon, but the Pied Currawong is very common. The Pied Currawongs often have what I call "Currwong Corroborees" where they gather in groups of a hundred or more and call incessantly. I've no idea why they do this, because normally they don't travel in flocks or large groups.

Last edited by RobG; 10-09-2018 at 04:01 PM.
10-09-2018, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

My grackles are never aggressive. Today they were splashing around in the dogs swimming pool , really cute. They co-exist with the Blue Jays , Squirrels and Chipmunks. They don't have a lot of patience with the smaller birds but they aren't any worse than our resident Blue Jays. And like the jays, they back off if there's a woodpecker at the feeders.

Interesting bird above. It has grackle eyes for sure. Nice shooting.

One of my grackles.

10-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My grackles are never aggressive. Today they were splashing around in the dogs swimming pool , really cute. They co-exist with the Blue Jays , Squirrels and Chipmunks. They don't have a lot of patience with the smaller birds but they aren't any worse than our resident Blue Jays. And like the jays, they back off if there's a woodpecker at the feeders.
Nice shot! I like the metallic sheen on the Grackle - we have a number of birds with similar plumage. I read a book recently which spoke in great detail about how Australian birds tend to be much more aggressive in general than birds in other countries.
10-10-2018, 04:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Interesting bird above. It has grackle eyes for sure. Nice shooting.

One of my grackles.
Our Grackles and Blue Jays don't get along with each other - or with any other birds - or with the squirrels.
10-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Our Grackles and Blue Jays don't get along with each other - or with any other birds - or with the squirrels.
Maybe it depends on the amount of food available?

10-10-2018, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

They aren't co-operating if that's what you mean, But they co-exist, as long as they don't get too close to each other. I can often see 40 grackles and 6 or 7 blues Jays and a few sparrows etc. hopping around in close proximity. That's close enough to bliss for me.