Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Algonquin Park - Fall Insanity
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Algonquin Park ISO: 800 Aperture: F8 
Posted By: normhead, 10-08-2018, 07:58 AM

Most of the year ALgonauin is a nice peaceful place to go. The peak of the fall colours is insanity. Yesterday, the sign said "Park full - Permits are not for sale." So you could drive through on the provincial highway but you couldn't stop after about 1 o'clock. You could be ticketed for even pulling over on the shoulder if you didn't have a permit. There was a two mile long line up at the gate, people waiting to buy permits at 10, they were all gone by 1.

Brewer Lake

Many avoid the park because of the insanity, people crossing a highway with a 80 km (50MPH( speed limit on blind corners. people stopped in the middle of the road. Crazy people speeding thorough the nonsense. To us, it's our big chance of the year to experience big city traffic, without having to go to the big city. A few times a year the big city comes to us.
Views: 922
10-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My goodness! Now I know where all of the idiots (and they were) on the 400 were going on Saturday. I was just trying to get up to Barrie!

A few years back I camped at Kiosk the week after thanksgiving and had the place to myself.
10-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
My goodness! Now I know where all of the idiots (and they were) on the 400 were going on Saturday. I was just trying to get up to Barrie!
This is definitely where they all ended up.

CBC news is actually recommending people stay away from the park.

Last edited by normhead; 10-08-2018 at 09:55 AM.
10-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
CBC news is actually recommending people stay away from the park.
but clearly a place to go watch and photograph people - good job!

10-08-2018, 12:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ugh....beautiful, yet depressing. reh321 makes a good observation, though.
10-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Adirondacks are much the same down here. It's the only place in NY where the colors are peak this weekend. The DEC closed the parking lots at many of the most popular trail heads for the weekend, and put up no parking signs along the road...an effort to ease the crowds and get people to explore other places in the region.
10-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Looks like a lovely place. Is it like that on weekdays too or just weekends?

10-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but clearly a place to go watch and photograph people - good job!
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Ugh....beautiful, yet depressing. reh321 makes a good observation, though.
We love this time of year, but it's not long before Brownvember and for the area around us to become the "Great White North."

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Adirondacks are much the same down here. It's the only place in NY where the colors are peak this weekend. The DEC closed the parking lots at many of the most popular trail heads for the weekend, and put up no parking signs along the road...an effort to ease the crowds and get people to explore other places in the region.
Really, the Adirondacks should be part of Canada. Those politicians never get it right. There were Rangers at many of the parking lots' One goes, one more comes in, so effectively the trail heads were closed to a lot of people. You had to turn up at the right moment. Hence the parking on the roads near the trailheads.

In this picture

The guys in the yellow vests are park rangers, one is controlling cars coming in, one is letting them out. The cars parked beside the road both sides are people walking down to the trailheads to walk the trails.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Looks like a lovely place. Is it like that on weekdays too or just weekends?
This time of year it's busy during the week, but not this busy. During the week there are actually more tour buses. They aren't allowed into most parking lots on the weekends.

Last edited by normhead; 10-08-2018 at 01:39 PM.
10-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Goodness. This looks like Highway 89A in Oak Creek, North of Sedona Az. Cars and people everywhere.
10-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
Goodness. This looks like Highway 89A in Oak Creek, North of Sedona Az. Cars and people everywhere.
There's place I always wanted to go. I was a dual citizen for the first 10 years of my 35 year working career, meaning the U.S. could ask me for taxes if they figured it out. This even though the only service the U.S. ever provided for me was issuing me a draft card, a service of incredibly dubious value, since I'd already been living in Canada 8 years. There is not a chance in the world I will ever enter the U.S. again.

Last edited by normhead; 10-08-2018 at 02:27 PM.
10-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really, the Adirondacks should be part of Canada. Those politicians never get it right.
Geologically they are...

Thousand Islands ? Frontenac Arch - Wikipedia
10-10-2018, 04:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Thanks

We love this time of year, but it's not long before Brownvember and for the area around us to become the "Great White North."

Really, the Adirondacks should be part of Canada. Those politicians never get it right. There were Rangers at many of the parking lots' One goes, one more comes in, so effectively the trail heads were closed to a lot of people. You had to turn up at the right moment. Hence the parking on the roads near the trailheads.

In this picture

The guys in the yellow vests are park rangers, one is controlling cars coming in, one is letting them out. The cars parked beside the road both sides are people walking down to the trailheads to walk the trails.

This time of year it's busy during the week, but not this busy. During the week there are actually more tour buses. They aren't allowed into most parking lots on the weekends.
We lived in western Massachusetts, in the Connecticut River Valley, for seven years. That area 'goes nuts' over Fall Colors every year; the TV stations include 'colors' maps as part of the weather report. I complained about all the people from the Boston area clogging our roads, but I never thought of them as a 'photo op'. Your police are better organized than theirs are - I saw lots of illegally parked cars in the hills - but never people turned away because parking was full.
10-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We lived in western Massachusetts, in the Connecticut River Valley, for seven years. That area 'goes nuts' over Fall Colors every year; the TV stations include 'colors' maps as part of the weather report. I complained about all the people from the Boston area clogging our roads, but I never thought of them as a 'photo op'. Your police are better organized than theirs are - I saw lots of illegally parked cars in the hills - but never people turned away because parking was full.
Signs at the two ends of the Hwy 60 corridor informed people the park was full (but they could still drive through) and no park permits were being sold, which meant if they pulled over on the shoulder, they could be ticketed.) There were overflights from the park plane checking for hazards.