Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Snow
Posted By: reh321, 10-08-2018, 06:44 PM

In 1978 I was staying with my parents while job hunting when a blizzard passed through town - actually it took almost two whole days to come-and-go, but it dropped 48" of snow in the process. As the storm tailed off, my mother sent me to a local store to get some milk {after calling around she discovered this small store was open because the lady running it had stayed too long}. Even during the storm, the city had plow trucks running to keep the main roads sort of open. As usual, I took a camera with me, and this is one of the photos I took then.

Attached Images

Views: 1,329
10-08-2018, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
What i love most about photos ! is that they show us the past isn't gone !!!!!!!!!!!!
10-10-2018, 05:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pink Quote
What i love most about photos ! is that they show us the past isn't gone !!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for your comment.

For years my photography has been guided by the motto "Capture today before tomorrow comes, and everything changes."
10-13-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In 1978 I was staying with my parents while job hunting when a blizzard passed through town - actually it took almost two whole days to come-and-go, but it dropped 48" of snow in the process. As the storm tailed off, my mother sent me to a local store to get some milk {after calling around she discovered this small store was open because the lady running it had stayed too long}. Even during the storm, the city had plow trucks running to keep the main roads sort of open. As usual, I took a camera with me, and this is one of the photos I took then.
remember the Blizzard of '78 well ….thanks for posting

10-13-2018, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by follansbee Quote
remember the Blizzard of '78 well ….thanks for posting
Thank you for your comment.

My college days were bracketed by the two significant 'weather events' of the 20th Century in this area.

On Palm Sunday 1965, I sat at a desk in our basement composing on a manual typewriter with a row of candles ready to be lit if the power failed, because my senior {H.S.} English paper was due the next day, and my admittance to Purdue U. was contingent on that.

December 1977, I finally finished grad school and moved back in with my parents while job hunting - just in time for the blizzard.

Today, local weathermen, perhaps born after 1978, will say things like "We have a danger of tornadoes tomorrow, but nothing like the Palm Sunday storm" or "We have a blizzard warning for tomorrow, but nothing like 1978."
10-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

nice b/w, good framing and winter atmosphere!
10-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This scene reminds me of my childhood memories of Wisconsin . Thanks for posting .

10-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A frame of nostalgia
10-14-2018, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

This is what photography is all about and not discussions about lens corner sharpness!

There really is something about film over digital, I knew it was film straight away before reading your info.

Brilliant
10-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ignath Quote
nice b/w, good framing and winter atmosphere!
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
This scene reminds me of my childhood memories of Wisconsin . Thanks for posting .
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A frame of nostalgia
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
This is what photography is all about and not discussions about lens corner sharpness!

There really is something about film over digital, I knew it was film straight away before reading your info.

Brilliant
Thank you very much - all of you.

I've always believed the most important part of "F/8 and be there" is the "Be there" part. In this case I crammed my older rangefinder camera in my pocket because I didn't want to risk my better one.
10-03-2019, 12:28 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I love photos like these.
10-03-2019, 05:51 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I thought the mentioning of the “S” word invoked an immediate forum ban...
10-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot! It brings up a lot of memories from my childhood and college days in Montana.
10-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@ToddK; Photogoof; Thank you for your comments.

They talk about that blizzard, they say sometimes on TV "but not like 1978" - but this really was a 'once in a lifetime event' - maybe even a once in 500 years or once in 1000 years event around here. I am quite certain that we will never have that much snow around here during my lifetime ..... and I am quite glad about that.
10-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I thought the mentioning of the “S” word invoked an immediate forum ban...
Thank you for commenting;

I am quite certain that pure volume is keeping them at bay right now - and possibly for the next three months!