Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tiny mushrooms in the local forest
Lens: Tamron 90mm/f2.8 Camera: K-70 
Posted By: newmikey, 10-09-2018, 08:38 AM

All shot in raw (PEF) and converted with Darktable, post-processing with Gimp. Due to the lack of autumn storms this year, the forest canopy is still quite dense which pushed the ISO up to values between 2000 and 6400 - still amazed by the K-70 capability to retain detail and colour under low light conditions.

Views: 478
10-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These photos are very nice! I particularly like the last three that have the forest floor/ground in them.
10-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
All shot in raw (PEF) and converted with Darktable, post-processing with Gimp. Due to the lack of autumn storms this year, the forest canopy is still quite dense which pushed the ISO up to values between 2000 and 6400 - still amazed by the K-70 capability to retain detail and colour under low light conditions.
Yes, K-70 certainly delivered colors and detail for you - these are all great photos!

How much noise reduction did you have to add to what K-70 did?
10-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, K-70 certainly delivered colors and detail for you - these are all great photos!
Thanks!

QuoteQuote:
How much noise reduction did you have to add to what K-70 did?
I used two instances of profiled NR on the raw file in Darktable, one for the chroma and one for the luminance noise. No NR beyond that although on some of these I added a highpass filter in Gimp/GMIC with a luminance greyscale mask to add detail in the highlights without touching the shadows and adding unsightly noise there. I believe that the K-70 doesn't really add much NR in the raws except for the >ISO6400 range (but I might be wrong there).