Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
First try at Bird in Flight
Lens: Sears 135mm f/2.8-22 with Macro zones Camera: K-3ii Photo Location: Florida Everglades ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: tonver, 10-10-2018, 08:00 PM

Well, not really the first, but the previous was more like surrealist art than photography.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 392
10-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #2

Nothing wrong with that except to maybe crop out the water splashing up one the right side as it is a little distracting. What part of the 'Glades and keep an eye out for snakes , especially the big ones!
10-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you, this was just leaving Miami on the Tamiami trail.

The water splashing was draining the northern part of the everglades preparing for hurricane Michael.

4 Big pumps about 42" in diameter.
10-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I say you did well on your first attempt taking a pix of a bird in flight. What I try to do is get a good focus on the eye...I know...easier said than done.

10-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I say you did well on your first attempt taking a pix of a bird in flight. What I try to do is get a good focus on the eye...I know...easier said than done.
What I try to do is get a good focus on the eye.
I swear that I tried... but to focus on the eye you have to see the eye

it was difficult for me, specially with a manual focus lens. but I will keep trying..

Thanks for your comments,
10-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonver Quote
I swear that I tried... but to focus on the eye you have to see the eye

it was difficult for me, specially with a manual focus lens. but I will keep trying..

Thanks for your comments,
You're right it's not easy to focus on the eye of a bird flying at some speed. Especially with a manually focusing lens. I have more luck with auto focus lenses...but I must say, I think you did an excellent job.

I use my 55-300 a lot for birds and I usually set the F stop around F 10 in bright sunlight...as birds tend to fly in and out of the depth of field...particularly when that DOF is so narrow at F 2.8- 3.5 or so. I like taking pictures of big slow moving birds like American White Pelicans...but before I attempted getting pics of them...I found a bench near a bird feeder and spent a fair amount of time trying to get pixs of Chickadees. They're small, fast flying and erratic in direction. Once I got some good experience getting pix of them, bigger, slow moving birds were easier. But I'm still no expert.
10-11-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
I attempted getting pics of them...I found a bench near a bird feeder and spent a fair amount of time trying to get pixs of Chickadees. They're small, fast flying and erratic in direction. Once I got some good experience getting pix of them, bigger, slow moving birds were easier. But I'm still no expert.
Thanks, I will profit from your experience, when I was capturing the pictures this surly bird made me walk about 3 inches per minute until it start to fliy, they are not too friendly... but practice make perfect (not quickly, but in my lifetime, ....I hope)

Cheers,
Tony V.