Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Orion
Lens: WO ZS 71ED w Flat6A Flattener/Reducer Camera: K3II Photo Location: Pritchard ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4.7 
Posted By: aitrus3, 10-13-2018, 09:47 AM

Still learning how to process these types of images. There is a program I'm wanting to get by I think Code Obsession. It works with PixInsight but is also standalone and it is a stacking program. much less expensive than full out PixInsight but I can do the rest of the editing in LR and Affinity Photo. Until that time, this may be the best I can get with this data I got last night.

On a positive note, my mount fix worked and it preformed nicely. I needed a little better polar alignment but the next time I go out it'll be better.

39x 80s frames @ISO 800
10x 80s frames @ISO 3200
7x 30s frames @ISO 800
Pentax K3II
Unguided
WO ZS 71 ED with Flat6A Flattener/reducer

Views: 794
10-13-2018, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great composite of M42 (pun intended?)!

I attempted to get into astro, but just never got it going. These shots take a lot of time and effort, very well done!
10-13-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Great composite of M42 (pun intended?)!

I attempted to get into astro, but just never got it going. These shots take a lot of time and effort, very well done!
Thanks!
And yes they do! And there is so much that can go wrong! I somehow got my t-mount adapter on my camera the wrong way and it wouldn't come off I eventually got it off but not after some heart wrenching moments of twisting it this way and that, and got it back on properly. I need to inspect it all yet.
10-13-2018, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
I need to inspect it all yet.
Hope all is well, minor scratches and signs of wear are all good... proof that the gear is put to work!

10-13-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent image there, well worth the effort and satisfying when achieved. I imagine you used astro tracer with that set up?
10-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Excellent image there, well worth the effort and satisfying when achieved. I imagine you used astro tracer with that set up?
HEQ5 Pro mount.
10-14-2018, 12:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful astrophotography. Well executed and thanks so much for uploading.

TT

10-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

HEQ5 Pro mount.
Ha, Sorry I didn't catch that bit properly.
What do you mean by unguided?, is that not polar aligned or something else?, I'm not familiar with these set-ups
10-17-2018, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Ha, Sorry I didn't catch that bit properly.
What do you mean by unguided?, is that not polar aligned or something else?, I'm not familiar with these set-ups
A guided setup uses a secondary camera, telescope, and computer and it's sole job is to look at a near by star and adjust the motors appropriately to keep that star in the centre of the frame. All mounts have a little bit of error in them, even with the most precise polar alignment, guiding helps minimize the effects. the mount must still be polar aligned, so yes my mount was.
10-17-2018, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A guided setup uses a secondary camera, telescope, and computer and it's sole job is to look at a near by star and adjust the motors appropriately to keep that star in the centre of the frame. All mounts have a little bit of error in them, even with the most precise polar alignment, guiding helps minimize the effects. the mount must still be polar aligned, so yes my mount was.
Thanks for the explanation. I've still a lot to learn on this subject, out of interest more than the pursuit of the full up telescope set up.