Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10 Likes  #1
Astrotracer and the Alps
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm 4.0-5.6 Camera: Pentax K3ii Photo Location: Brand, Austria ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Pete_XL, 10-16-2018, 02:16 AM

Hiking in the Austrian Alps I used the Astrotracer function of the K3ii for an image with the Heart-of-Jesus Chapel and the Milky Way above the Mottakopf mountain in a little village named Brand. The final image consists of 20 x 60 s with the Astrotracer for the stars and 8 x 30 s for the foreground. The stars were stacked with the freeware Sequator (great! program) and the composite was arranged and postprocessed in Photoshop CC2018.



Views: 702
10-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
kcjonez's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Mount Desert, Maine, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 448
Beauty!
Great image Pete!
10-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 59
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
Hiking in the Austrian Alps I used the Astrotracer function of the K3ii for an image with the Heart-of-Jesus Chapel and the Milky Way above the Mottakopf mountain in a little village named Brand. The final image consists of 20 x 60 s with the Astrotracer for the stars and 8 x 30 s for the foreground. The stars were stacked with the freeware Sequator (great! program) and the composite was arranged and postprocessed in Photoshop CC2018.


awesome! well done
10-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,108
This is very nice, but for me hard to understand why do you used stacked images for the foreground? I'm just curious, as I was always thinking it is just one exposure for the foreground. Was this used to kill the noise plus get some more details on the mountain, maybe?

10-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter
TedH42's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,392
A very nice composition, well done, with the Milky Way erupting out of the mountain. Are you sure that's not a volcano?

Thanks for sharing.
10-03-2019, 01:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 326
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jjansen Quote
awesome! well done
Thanks a a lot!

Pete
10-03-2019, 01:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 326
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcjonez Quote
Beauty!
Great image Pete!
Thank you! Glad you like it!
10-03-2019, 01:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 326
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
This is very nice, but for me hard to understand why do you used stacked images for the foreground? I'm just curious, as I was always thinking it is just one exposure for the foreground. Was this used to kill the noise plus get some more details on the mountain, maybe?
The location and the mountains in the background were very dark. I stacked someforeground images to hold the noise down and be able to pull a bit of light the scenery. The chappel I had lighted a bit with a small torch.

10-03-2019, 01:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Pete_XL's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 326
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
A very nice composition, well done, with the Milky Way erupting out of the mountain. Are you sure that's not a volcano?

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Ted,

I first thought myself I had discovered a vulcano! But beeing a geologist I examined it closely and can asure now - it is No Vulcano !

Cheers
Pete
10-03-2019, 01:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,108
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
The location and the mountains in the background were very dark. I stacked someforeground images to hold the noise down and be able to pull a bit of light the scenery. The chappel I had lighted a bit with a small torch.
Thank you very much, simple but clever. I was always thinking about stacking is a kind of solution mostly reserved for the stars, not foreground.
10-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Wingincamera's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanaway, WA. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 991
QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
Hiking in the Austrian Alps I used the Astrotracer function of the K3ii for an image with the Heart-of-Jesus Chapel and the Milky Way above the Mottakopf mountain in a little village named Brand. The final image consists of 20 x 60 s with the Astrotracer for the stars and 8 x 30 s for the foreground. The stars were stacked with the freeware Sequator (great! program) and the composite was arranged and postprocessed in Photoshop CC2018.


I really like this, well composed and put together.
10-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Dewman's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Idaho
Posts: 5,369
Most definitely National Geographic-worthy. Beautiful work.
10-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian
jack002's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Missouri
Photos: Albums
Posts: 717
Wonderful shot!!
10-26-2019, 06:41 PM   #14
Pentaxian
kiwi_jono's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,002
Stunning! Great job with stacking too - great example of what can be done with astrotracer and a static scene!
10-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 810
beautifully exposed church with the Milky Way towering above. Speaks volumes, does it not? I'd like to get these kind of shots... astro photography is quite challenging and I've yet to try it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
alps, astrotracer, brand, camera, image, milky way, photo, stars
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Night Moonrise photo over the alps haroon88 Photo Critique 9 08-29-2018 08:24 PM
Travel From Alps to Ocean - a cycling/photography log pinholecam Post Your Photos! 65 08-15-2018 05:29 AM
Landscape Fall colours in the Saxonian Alps - Germany carrrlangas Post Your Photos! 2 10-16-2017 08:33 AM
Hike through the Swiss Alps MoparFreak69 Photo Critique 2 09-06-2009 03:40 AM
June 2007 Winner: Storm coming up in the Austrian Alps stern Winners' Showcase 8 10-21-2007 06:10 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top