Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Moon lit water scene
Lens: Pentax FA 24-90 mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Philippines ISO: 32000 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: shirey, 10-23-2018, 04:39 AM

I choose F16 to make the lights in the distance appear as stars, which meant I needed ISO 3200 to achieve the exposure I wanted. Histograms showed typical low exposure in red, green, and white; but a lot more in blue. I shot in RAW and actually reduced the saturation to control the blue. I edited to raise the highlights, increase contrast, and cropping to Rule of Thirds. The Moon was in the original frame, but I cropped it out because it was over-exposed and distracting. However, some of the moonlight helped brighten the scene. Shot just after sunset, the cloud was still illuminated by the Sun.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by shirey; 10-23-2018 at 05:19 AM. Reason: changed a word ( should be "green")
Views: 460
10-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shirey Quote
I choose F16 to make the lights in the distance appear as stars, which meant I needed ISO 3200 to achieve the exposure I wanted. Histograms showed typical low exposure in red, green, and white; but a lot more in blue. I shot in RAW and actually reduced the saturation to control the blue. I edited to raise the highlights, increase contrast, and cropping to Rule of Thirds. The Moon was in the original frame, but I cropped it out because it was over-exposed and distracting. However, some of the moonlight helped brighten the scene. Shot just after sunset, the cloud was still illuminated by the Sun.
An interesting classic scene.
10-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree. Not only very interesting, but truly beautiful. Thanks for posting.

TT
01-31-2019, 08:06 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I agree. Not only very interesting, but truly beautiful. Thanks for posting.

TT
It was more of a training exercise than a work of art...a technical challenge, to help me practice night shots.

01-31-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Better than my experience in night shots. I get black and only thing shows is tiny lights in the background. LOL

Well done you!! Beautiful scene. TFS.