Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 VERY different photos.
Posted By: Peter Zack, 09-24-2008, 06:21 AM

The first was from last night and just by chance. I was on my way out the door when I noticed a couple of kids enjoying a late summer game of hockey in the nearby church parking lot.

The second was a "mistake" shot. I just got these 2 in position and had been shooting with fill flash in manual. I wanted natural light (the sun was setting) and forgot to turn the flash off for the first shot. Lots of PP work here. But I think it works.

it's meant to be slightly soft as well. But site resizing adds a bit too much to that.
Views: 3,376
09-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Peter, great work. I thoroughly enjoy your photography. I guess the first shot is for the theme lighting.

The 2nd shot has the connection, vibe and the B+W toning works well here. Good to see you post again and I am very happy to see you participating

Wish all the best to you and loved ones.
09-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Breathtaking first shot, Peter!

The second shot, although not technically perfect, I think captured the essence of the moment; possibly the essence of their entire relationship. Something they will look back to when they're old and happy.
09-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

The first image is very fine indeed.

JMR

09-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Super catch! I suppose the lesson is: never open your door without a camera
09-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Gee Peter I'm not to sure I agree with you about the second one being to soft. That shot could be the highlight photo of the wedding. You were able to capture the moment so well.
Congrats,
Ken
09-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Being an amature sometimes the emotion captured by a photograph, although maybe not technically correct, is usually more important than the technical aspects. after all, isn't photography about capturing a snapshot of a moment in time, no matter how technically perfect a photo is, if it doesn't "say" something you might as well not have taken it. At least that's my philosophy (maybe because I'm still a crappy photographer aspiring to do better).

Both those photos are great.

09-24-2008, 09:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments everyone. The first shot just takes me back to being 7 years old and playing street hockey day after day till Dad yelled to get in (long after the street lights came on). Games were so long that the scores were uncountable.

The second shot was intended to have that "old Film" look of slightly soft. Sharpness doesn't always make a great picture and if I wanted to this could have been razor sharp. It was taken with the Sigma 105mm Macro in MF. The site resizing just enhanced that look somehow. But I like the accidental almost high key look to the image. The added bonus for the couple is I have another version with no flash that was taken a split second later before the flash could recycle (I'll often take bursts of 2 or 3 incase of closed eyes) and I turned it off. It looks very nice in colour as well.
09-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Breathtaking first shot, Peter!

The second shot, although not technically perfect, I think captured the essence of the moment; possibly the essence of their entire relationship. Something they will look back to when they're old and happy.
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Gee Peter I'm not to sure I agree with you about the second one being to soft. That shot could be the highlight photo of the wedding. You were able to capture the moment so well.
Congrats,
Ken
And that's the whole point isn't it? I find I'm providing a package that is almost 2 distinct parts. One is a group of shots that record important parts of the event and the second is a small group of shots that capture the couple and the feelings they have for each other. The second group is tougher to get right but so much more rewarding when it works.
09-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Great work Peter. Love the first one and the second one as a timeless feel about it.
09-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I really love the first shot - the warm tones and the long shadows tell you summer is on the way out...
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The first one is really stunning, everything is just spot on, lighting, composition, the balanced contrast...
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Peter, I absolutely love the 1st shot. The color and long shadows give it a really great atmosphere.

The 2nd one is just not my cup of tea. But the moment you captured is great, enthrancing. Given the conditions the shot was taken in, all I can say is: nice save !
09-24-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Awesome shot Peter... rap it up.. and put a for sale sign on it... JIMBO
09-25-2008, 02:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Great work Peter. Love the first one and the second one as a timeless feel about it.
Thanks Gary, That's what I was trying for with the couple.
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I really love the first shot - the warm tones and the long shadows tell you summer is on the way out...
It sure is dan. The nights are coming much sooner and cooler. I wound up shooting the kids for almost 30 minutes and had to make all these excuses for the meeting I was late. People are getting used to that with me
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
The first one is really stunning, everything is just spot on, lighting, composition, the balanced contrast...
Thanks Gawan. Glad you enjoyed the shot.