Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
soccer for little people
Posted By: mel, 09-24-2008, 04:27 PM

Last week I posted the big people's soccer (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/37004-finally-soccer-time-again.html) so now this week I'll post the little people. These are from 9/20. Kind of a rough game. We're blue. This is U10. As a ref, I had some issues. My camera helps me keep my mouth shut on the sidelines but I was also coaching the defensive end of the field. I didn't do too well at either the shooting or the coaching.

didn't manage to catch the ball leaving his foot . . .

If you can't get him this way - (7400)

(7402)

maybe try this way - (7403)

(7404)

The number in parentheses are the shutter actuation numbers. I included them so the sequence could be seen.
Views: 3,189
09-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Nice Mel, have you found that you are rusty after not shooting soccer for a while? There must be some kind of rythm to it that's different to shooting namby pamby thespians.
09-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice Mel, have you found that you are rusty after not shooting soccer for a while? There must be some kind of rythm to it that's different to shooting namby pamby thespians.
Actually it's kind of a relief really. This is no pressure. Just enjoy the game and shoot. And if I miss something, so what. It's for fun. The namby pampy thespian stuff is tough.

I had a shoot saturday just after this game of a play performance that was in a sideless tent, with the sides blocked by black risers, with black chairs, a black stage, and b
09-24-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the sequence Mel. Gee even at this young age they take their shots don't they!

09-25-2008, 03:24 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
I like the sequence Mel. Gee even at this young age they take their shots don't they!
Yeah I was having issues with the whole thing. A lovely little letter to the head ref followed the game as this kid was taking out players with his arms at every play. He'd knock them off the ball with wild (and deliberate appearing) arm swings then trot away with it. Nary a whistle. After about 6 times I started getting vocal and the parents on the other side would mock me in return. I was about to go over there and start taking my own swings. It was ridiculous.

The parents on our side are happy for the pictures.
Thanks LaRee.
09-25-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

VERY nice series Mel. I think your soccer shots are getting better than your stage work - just kiddi'

What do you mean "we're blue" they're both wearing blue - lol.
You're really getting good at this soccer stuff. What's that you say, FIFA's on the line!
09-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good action Mel - I think that is a foul in the last one !

09-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
VERY nice series Mel. I think your soccer shots are getting better than your stage work - just kiddi'

What do you mean "we're blue" they're both wearing blue - lol.
You're really getting good at this soccer stuff. What's that you say, FIFA's on the line!
Thanks. Um, yeah we're the blue with white. The other team is the white with blue. The league had the oh-so-brilliant idea to do away with various colors and everyone get two shirts: White with blue and blue with white. They're too similar and it is waaaaaay too confusing out there now.

To make matters worse, my U16 boy played the team that his brother played on at U14 (they moved up). So I knew the boys on both teams, used to rooting for and shooting both teams. Add in the confusing oclor scheme, I kept getting lost as to whom I was supposed to be shooting and cheering for (only original u16 boy is playing this season).

Yeah I wish FIFA was on the line. I would fall over and faint for an opportunity to shoot some higher level stuff. I would love to see some Pentax gear at the higher level stuff too. Anytime they want to sponsor me and send me to games I'm available!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Good action Mel - I think that is a foul in the last one !
Yeah I thought so too. Just one of many. I may be only a lowly rec level grade 8 ref, but if I remember correctly, you cannot put your hands on you opponant's head and push them out of the way to steal the ball.

Thanks guys!
09-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I understand that it wouldn't change the outcome of this particular game but sending a couple of the "foul" photos to the legue wouldn't be out of order. It might improve the kid's play (aka discourage him from fouling) and improve the ref's whistle blowing muscles.

Other than that point... Very nice shots Mel! We need to figure out a weekend for me to come over so you can use the BIGMA.

p.s. that uniform policy is crazy and could contribute to a lot of missed calls. I'm all for highly contrasting team colors. Make officiating and photography much much easier.

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-25-2008 at 03:04 PM.
09-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You really have the talent to catch the right moment!
09-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I understand that it wouldn't change the outcome of this particular game but sending a couple of the "foul" photos to the legue wouldn't be out of order. It might improve the kid's play (aka discourage him from fouling) and improve the ref's whistle blowing muscles.

Other than that point... Very nice shots Mel! We need to figure out a weekend for me to come over so you can use the BIGMA.

p.s. that uniform policy is crazy and could contribute to a lot of missed calls. I'm all for highly contrasting team colors. Make officiating and photography much much easier.
Thanks Mike.
One of the parents actually wanted me to send them to the rec league commissioner but the last season I coached I had big issues with these same kids when we played them and took it to the commissioner. I was basically dismissed as a hysterical parent (ummm I was the coach). Since I am not the coach I said that I'm staying out of it. However, if another parent were to direct said commissioner to my flickr page where these are out there for the world to see, well, I wouldn't know anything about that now would I?

The uniform thing is messed up. If they were just solid blue and solid white it would be better. It's that stupid stripe that kills it.

If I try the BIGMA on the regulation field. I'll probably never be happy with my cheap zoom again. But I still want to

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
You really have the talent to catch the right moment!
Thanks! It's still a learning process.
09-26-2008, 03:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I learned something. I never knew it was possible to foul in soccer. I admit to knowing nothing about the sport.

This is almost as big a revelation for me as it was a few years ago when I heard a P-Diddy/Puff Daddy/Whatever song on the radio and learned that it is actually possible to rap off-key.
09-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
JMR
Veteran Member

Nice work. Especially like the first two images. The colours, the composition and timing and light on their hair makes these images vivid and compelling.

JMR
09-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #14
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I learned something. I never knew it was possible to foul in soccer. I admit to knowing nothing about the sport.

This is almost as big a revelation for me as it was a few years ago when I heard a P-Diddy/Puff Daddy/Whatever song on the radio and learned that it is actually possible to rap off-key.
Lol. Yeah, using your hands and arms to shove another player off the ball so you can take it is generally frowned upon (among other disallowed actions). You're supposed to use your feet.

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Nice work. Especially like the first two images. The colours, the composition and timing and light on their hair makes these images vivid and compelling.

JMR
Thank you! And I get to shoot two more games today. Lucky me!
09-28-2008, 05:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
You're supposed to use your feet.
Ohhhhhhhh come-on Mel. You're kidding right? Is that why it is called football/footie?
Go figure!

OK, so why do they call the AFL/NFL/CFL football?