Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
The Refugee
Posted By: alamo5000, 11-03-2018, 09:46 AM

I was walking around Istanbul late at night and three young guys were interested in my taking photos and my camera gear.

Turns out all three of them were Libyan refugees, and all three of them were from Benghazi, and all three of them were there and witnessed the events of the night of that attack.
We ended up staying out until at least 3am talking, discussing, eating, and sharing. It was quite an interesting night I should say.

The guys really wanted to save up money to buy a camera so they could take photos and they also really liked Run DMC.

This is a street portrait of one of them.

Photo taken with a K-3 and 16-85mm. ISO 3200, f4, 1/20, handheld.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 374
11-03-2018, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I was walking around Istanbul late at night and three young guys were interested in my taking photos and my camera gear.

Turns out all three of them were Libyan refugees, and all three of them were from Benghazi, and all three of them were there and witnessed the events of the night of that attack.
We ended up staying out until at least 3am talking, discussing, eating, and sharing. It was quite an interesting night I should say.

The guys really wanted to save up money to buy a camera so they could take photos and they also really liked Run DMC.

This is a street portrait of one of them.

Photo taken with a K-3 and 16-85mm. ISO 3200, f4, 1/20, handheld.
Nice portrait - and backstory adds so much to it.
11-03-2018, 10:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Nice portrait - and backstory adds so much to it.
Thank you.

The photo itself based only on that alone... there is a lot that isn't perfect. The lighting is horrible for one...

But the story behind it, that is what makes it more meaningful. I was discussing lots of things with friends the other day and it made me think of this experience.

From a sheer photographic standpoint it makes me wonder how a photo like this (and it's attached story) connects with people who are seeing it for the first time.

I mean when you read that little blurb and see the picture what runs through your head as a viewer?

I guess what I am getting at here is trying to see how the whole package works together to connect.

Yes there are tons of images where I go 'wow! pretty!' or 'that model is gorgeous' or even 'I would love to be on that beach!'... all of those different kinds of images 'connect' in one way or another but I am curious about how something like THIS connects or if it connects at all with the viewer/reader?