Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Mocking Bird
Posted By: reh321, 11-03-2018, 01:32 PM

We stopped in Vicksburg MS on our way to New Orleans last month. While my wife read and read displays inside the old Courthouse, I stood around outside, hoping a mockingbird, that iconic sight in the American South, would come within camera range. Then this guy came and landed for just a moment - but long enough.

Attached Images

Views: 772
11-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice opportunity shot with the pink blossoms giving some colour (even if they are just out of focus). That is the trouble with "opportunity" shots - you don't get time to adjust everything or take a second shot. But you got the mockingbird and that is the most important part.
11-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot,
11-04-2018, 06:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice opportunity shot with the pink blossoms giving some colour (even if they are just out of focus). That is the trouble with "opportunity" shots - you don't get time to adjust everything or take a second shot. But you got the mockingbird and that is the most important part.
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Great shot,
Thank you both for your comments. Mocking Birds are very much associated with life in that part of the country; they vary their song, but it seems to be a great deal of the 'songtrack' accompanying life there.

11-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A really nice shot... love that black background!
11-08-2018, 04:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A wonderful capture for sure. Thanks so much for posting.

TT
11-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A wonderful capture for sure. Thanks so much for posting.
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
A really nice shot... love that black background!
Thank you for your comments.

I must admit that black background was an accident. When I took the picture, the bird and tree were in the bright Mississippi sun, and the gray courthouse, the background, was in the shade. When preparing this photo for posting here, I cropped it and then asked gimp to "auto fix WB" .... and for reasons known only to it, the gray background suddenly became black - which I thought was great!

11-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Our area has an ample number of mockingbirds but they are smart , cautious and not easy to photograph .
11-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Our area has an ample number of mockingbirds but they are smart , cautious and not easy to photograph .
Thank you for your comment.

My wife wanted to walk up to the Courthouse from a park along the river. As we walked up, we heard and saw mockingbirds, and I understood what people mean when they talk about these birds "providing soundtrack for the South" .... even saw a couple fighting, but they were never close enough for a good photo .... not until this guy popped in for just enough time.