Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Adult Non breeding Snowy Egret poses for me
Posted By: photolady95, 11-03-2018, 03:51 PM

I thought about going fishing today but when I got to this park, and saw two birds standing in the canal that runs down the middle of this park, the water dead still, and their reflections, I decided to go hunting instead... with a camera of course. Hope you like what you see here.

Views: 1,778
11-05-2018, 12:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a very contented Bird.

11-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How do you identify this one as "non breeding"?
A breeding bird would have long, lacy plumes on the crown and back, and the bare skin between the eyes and bill would be yellow, in addition the difference in leg colour.
11-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
A breeding bird would have long, lacy plumes on the crown and back, and the bare skin between the eyes and bill would be yellow, in addition the difference in leg colour.
Yeah, that too.
11-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Very nice...

11-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Norm!
11-05-2018, 12:52 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay, so now that some of you think I should have it printed. What size do you think it whould look best printed?
11-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

20 x16 would be awesome. But, I find the size of my prints these days depends on available wall space.

11-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
20 x16 would be awesome. But, I find the size of my prints these days depends on available wall space.
Wall space I have plenty of that, Norm. Say 20ft long by 10ft tall. Should be enough room. That's the inside wall in our living room or I should say one of the inside walls of our living room.
11-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Wall space I have plenty of that, Norm. Say 20ft long by 10ft tall. Should be enough room. That's the inside wall in our living room or I should say one of the inside walls of our living room.
I'd want to set up a net at one end and play floor hockey.
11-06-2018, 12:44 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Geeezzz!! What a gorgeous photograph. I really like these birds a lot. Well executed. Thanks for uploading.

TT
11-06-2018, 01:11 AM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'd want to set up a net at one end and play floor hockey.
Nah, that's a side wall. You'd have to do that on the back wall, so you'd have more running the length.

We had a large family who needed space to gather in, there were 11 children and two parents, all children grown had children, some with 10 children of their own. So you see why we needed such a large living room? LOL
11-06-2018, 01:12 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Geeezzz!! What a gorgeous photograph. I really like these birds a lot. Well executed. Thanks for uploading.

TT
Thanks a lot Tony! Glad you like it and my pleasure to upload it for you!
11-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

If your posted image is a true representation of what you have “extracted” from your RAW and print this you will be very disappointed.
Why I am saying this? What you see on your computer screen is generated by mixing colours with light. Your screen illuminate RGB (red, green and blue) to produce colours, which is called additive colours.

Printers start the colour process with white paper and add CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow and black) to generate your picture. It is called subtractive colours.

And therein lies the problem, what looks bright on screen, when printed looks much darker. Illumined colours versus subtractive colours (or reflective if you like).

So, before going to print please rework your picture with reflective colours in mind. Since the original is in RAw format this should be easy.
Firstly, the white body of the bird is washed out (in your JPG). I can guaranty you there is much detail ready to be discovered.
Secondly, as I see here too often, your pic is underexposed. If you print it as it is, it will be disappointingly too dark. The water in which the bird stands is too dark the lovely rings should be more visible because I feel they are part of the attraction together with the reflection of the bird. To a lesser degree the background is important as well albeit to a much lesser degree.

I work with PhotoShop and in the RAW converter I would first brighten the image a wee bit, next I would work the Highlight Slider and move it all the way to the left. You can go wild here, since the bird is just about the only bright white highlight in the picture doing this will not effect the rest of the picture. Holy crap, the detail you will recover in the feathers will bowl you over. If you feel this has dulled the white a bit you can recover by moving the white slider to the rightit. (increase white) Also play around with the black slider and settle for what you think is right. Last but not least work the shadow slider to set the shadows in the picture.

If you do not have PhotoShop, I am sure other RAW converters work pretty much the same.

Overall “think printing” which means the pic will have to look brighter on screen, but not too much. If you are unsure do two or three variations with slightly different settings and get small test prints (postcard size) and settle on one or do some final adjustments and then go for it. I print a lot and don't have to do this anymore, I softproof everything on my Professional EIZO monitor.

As for paper, I am a fan for “Ilford Galerie Prestige”. It has a lovely semi gloss textured finish and prints very well. You will be pleased with it.
If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Hope I have been of service
Cheers
11-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's not underexposed, it's the way I processed it. And FWIW, don't you think your comments would have been better suited to have been made in my other thread, where I asked for help with printing this photo, rather than a thread where I was showing everyone else the photo?

In this thread:

I would like your advice on a print - PentaxForums.com
11-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well,Well.
Obviously well meaning advice in the overall context of printing is not welcomed. Your photographic prowess was not in question, I am sorry I have trod on your toes.

A few more of those swipes and I think I call it quits.