Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Red Bottlebrush Tree
Posted By: eaglem, 11-03-2018, 04:07 PM

in bloom.


Views: 486
11-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
You're going into spring right? Any bees hanging around those blossoms?
11-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,685
I have a small bottlebrush bush but I don't think I have seen a tree. We have Hummingbirds as well as Kinglets that love these. I am curious if you have any species of birds that they attract.
11-04-2018, 02:59 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
We have a tree in our yard too. Last year it was in full bloom after the neighbors cut down a large oak tree that was blocking the sun from our tree. This year my brother decided to trim the tree in hopes to make it branch out more and to make it more bushy.

11-04-2018, 03:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35,469
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I have a small bottlebrush bush but I don't think I have seen a tree. We have Hummingbirds as well as Kinglets that love these. I am curious if you have any species of birds that they attract.
Yes they attract Honeyeaters and Wattle Birds, in fact a family of Honeyeaters have made that tree their home for quite a number of years.

---------- Post added 11-04-18 at 06:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
We have a tree in our yard too. Last year it was in full bloom after the neighbors cut down a large oak tree that was blocking the sun from our tree. This year my brother decided to trim the tree in hopes to make it branch out more and to make it more bushy.
They can handle quite a heavy pruning and bounce right back.
11-04-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
We have a problem with the squirrels sniping the blossoms off. Since you guys in Australia don't have squirrels, you can't answer my why they do that question. I guess I'll have to research that, eh. But do you have any birds or rodents that do that your blossoms?
11-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35,469
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
We have a problem with the squirrels sniping the blossoms off. Since you guys in Australia don't have squirrels, you can't answer my why they do that question. I guess I'll have to research that, eh. But do you have any birds or rodents that do that your blossoms?
The Honeyeaters and Wattle Birds feed from the blossoms but don't destroy them only the Parrots and Galahs snip the blossoms off.
11-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
but don't destroy them only the Parrots and Galahs snip the blossoms off.
A google search got my answer. It seems the squirrels eat the seeds inside the flowers, then clip off the flowers when the seeds are gone.

11-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35,469
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
A google search got my answer. It seems the squirrels eat the seeds inside the flowers, then clip off the flowers when the seeds are gone.
Well that explains a bit, the Parrots and Cockatoo/Galahs are probably after seeds too.
11-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising the forum watching his back
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,621
They sure can strip a tree of blossoms in a short time though.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
birds, camera, honeyeaters, photo, tree
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature A Red Bottlebrush............. eaglem Post Your Photos! 2 07-07-2017 08:24 PM
Nature Red Bottlebrush bloom.............. eaglem Post Your Photos! 2 10-25-2016 07:16 AM
Nature Red Bottlebrush Flower..... eaglem Post Your Photos! 6 09-18-2014 08:29 PM
Nature First Bottlebrush flower to open on the tree. eaglem Post Your Photos! 8 09-19-2012 06:28 PM
Nature For Daacon who hasn't seen a Red Bottlebrush Tree eaglem Post Your Photos! 4 10-06-2011 03:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top