1 Like  #1
Red Bottlebrush Tree
Posted By: eaglem, 11-03-2018, 04:07 PM

in bloom.

Views: 683
11-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're going into spring right? Any bees hanging around those blossoms?
11-03-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a small bottlebrush bush but I don't think I have seen a tree. We have Hummingbirds as well as Kinglets that love these. I am curious if you have any species of birds that they attract.
11-04-2018, 02:59 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

We have a tree in our yard too. Last year it was in full bloom after the neighbors cut down a large oak tree that was blocking the sun from our tree. This year my brother decided to trim the tree in hopes to make it branch out more and to make it more bushy.

11-04-2018, 03:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I have a small bottlebrush bush but I don't think I have seen a tree. We have Hummingbirds as well as Kinglets that love these. I am curious if you have any species of birds that they attract.
Yes they attract Honeyeaters and Wattle Birds, in fact a family of Honeyeaters have made that tree their home for quite a number of years.

---------- Post added 11-04-18 at 06:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
We have a tree in our yard too. Last year it was in full bloom after the neighbors cut down a large oak tree that was blocking the sun from our tree. This year my brother decided to trim the tree in hopes to make it branch out more and to make it more bushy.
They can handle quite a heavy pruning and bounce right back.
11-04-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

We have a problem with the squirrels sniping the blossoms off. Since you guys in Australia don't have squirrels, you can't answer my why they do that question. I guess I'll have to research that, eh. But do you have any birds or rodents that do that your blossoms?
11-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
We have a problem with the squirrels sniping the blossoms off. Since you guys in Australia don't have squirrels, you can't answer my why they do that question. I guess I'll have to research that, eh. But do you have any birds or rodents that do that your blossoms?
The Honeyeaters and Wattle Birds feed from the blossoms but don't destroy them only the Parrots and Galahs snip the blossoms off.

11-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
but don't destroy them only the Parrots and Galahs snip the blossoms off.
A google search got my answer. It seems the squirrels eat the seeds inside the flowers, then clip off the flowers when the seeds are gone.
11-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A google search got my answer. It seems the squirrels eat the seeds inside the flowers, then clip off the flowers when the seeds are gone.
Well that explains a bit, the Parrots and Cockatoo/Galahs are probably after seeds too.
11-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

They sure can strip a tree of blossoms in a short time though.