Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Battle of New Orleans
Lens: DA 18-135 Camera: Pentax K-30 
Posted By: reh321, 11-04-2018, 05:26 PM

During our last afternoon in the New Orleans area, we spent an hour or two at the place where Andrew Jackson led the force that repulsed the last British invasion of the War of 1812. Historians agree that Lafitte-supplied artillery provided the "winning edge".

Attached Images

Views: 2,080
11-04-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
well composed image , love all the Moss hanging ,any idea of the tree species ?
11-05-2018, 02:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I get the impession that Americans look after their historic battlefields. In Britain we generally don't :-( except for Hastings, Bosworth and Culloden, which are on the tourist trail. Most others are lucky to have even a moss-grown marker stone, that's if the area has not had a road built through it or a housing estate. Few British people have even heard of the biggest ever battle, and one of the most decisive, in Britain - Towton (where there is a neglected stone cross by the road); nor of Stoke Field, the last battle of the Wars of the Roses, which most people think was Bosworth (I found no memorial). One history book I read even had a map placing Stoke Field at Stoke-on-Trent, but in fact it was near Newark 75 miles away!
11-05-2018, 03:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That's a big oak. I don't remember that one on the field.
Every year they do reinacting but it's always cold and rainy. I hope to go if there is decent weather some year.

11-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Outlander Quote
well composed image , love all the Moss hanging ,any idea of the tree species ?
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
That's a big oak. I don't remember that one on the field.
Every year they do reinacting but it's always cold and rainy. I hope to go if there is decent weather some year.
Thank you both for commenting.

IIRC, that tree is near the end of the battlefield loop, near to the Visitor Center; I had already taken a photo of cannons, but I liked this one so much better because of the tree. "Live Oak" is a large sprawling tree {but with really tiny acorns} native to the American South, and scene like this, with "Spanish Moss" hanging from its branches, is an iconic part of almost any scene in the "Deep South"..
11-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
During our last afternoon in the New Orleans area, we spent an hour or two at the place where Andrew Jackson led the force that repulsed the last British invasion of the War of 1812. Historians agree that Lafitte-supplied artillery provided the "winning edge".
Nicely composed image RE! The leading lines of the timbers in this perspective really work great. I'm surprised that old Live Oak hasn't been blown over in some of the Gulf Hurricanes.
11-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Up here we celebrate burning Washington and the White House.
I don't think that's considered a historic battlefield. There are no re-inactments there.

When I moved to Canada I learned the Battle of New Orleans didn't count, because the war had been over for 6 months.

11-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The tree definitely makes for a better picture.
The history is interesting circling the battlefield but it doesn't offer much to photograph.
11-05-2018, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

When I moved to Canada I learned the Battle of New Orleans didn't count, because the war had been over for 6 months.
The treaty of Ghent was signed 2 weeks before but it wasn't ratified till after the battle. Hostilities were to continue until such a time. If New Orleans fell the British most likely would change the terms with control of the Mississippi.
Of course my namesake wouldn't want a change of government when his smuggled goods kept the wealthy taken care of.
11-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The tree definitely makes for a better picture.
The history is interesting circling the battlefield but it doesn't offer much to photograph.
Looking for some interesting battlefields to photograph? Just ease on up the Big Muddy to Vicksburg.
11-05-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The treaty of Ghent was signed 2 weeks before but it wasn't ratified till after the battle. Hostilities were to continue until such a time. If New Orleans fell the British most likely would change the terms with control of the Mississippi.
Of course my namesake wouldn't want a change of government when his smuggled goods kept the wealthy taken care of.
There's an untestable theory for you.
So Canadians say the war was over and the battle had no effect on the outcome of the war.
The Americans say the British would have reneged on the treaty. (Imagine the Americans saying something like that about the British, how unexpected.)

Which sounds more plausible?
One is a statement of fact, the other is speculation.

But this is why I pay little attention to historians. They way to often have an angle.
11-05-2018, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There's an untestable theory for you.
So Canadians say the war was over and the battle had no effect on the outcome of the war.
The Americans say the British would have reneged on the treaty. (Imagine the Americans saying something like that about the British, how unexpected.)

Which sounds more plausible?
One is a statement of fact, the other is speculation.

But this is why I pay little attention to historians. They way to often have an angle.
I am fairly sure three things are true

(1) The Battle of New Orleans built U.S. confidence at the beginning of the 19th century.

(2) The Battle of New Orleans made Jean Lafitte even more of a local hero, even though the federal government 'rewarded' his help by chasing him out of the country.

{3) The Battle of New Orleans made Andrew Jackson a national hero even though he chased Davy Crockett out of their shared home state of Tennessee {which is how Crockett ended up at the Alamo to rally the troops there}

Last edited by reh321; 11-05-2018 at 10:37 AM.
11-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am fairly sure three things are true

(1) The Battle of New Orleans built U.S. confidence at the beginning of the 19th century.

(2) The Battle of New Orleans made Jean Lafitte even more of a local hero, even though the federal government chased him out of the country.

{3) The Battle of New Orleans made Andrew Jackson a national hero even though he chased Davy Crockett out of their shared home state of Tennessee {which is how Crockett ended up at the Alamo to rally the troops there}
1. Then why didn't the war of 1812 destroy confidence? Losing a war to a puny little country with 220 regulars, 300 reserves and 800 natives for an army. 1. is at best a historical speculation.
2. Who?
3. Small details in the internal politics of at the time a pretty insignificant nation.

I'm not saying I believe any of this, I've heard it both ways... but if one guy says the battle is significant, opposing points of view need to be explored.

That being said, The Canadians are just as stubborn and insisted that their point of view is the correct one as the Americans are that theirs is. If the vehemence expressed when people put forth their positions is any indication, I'd say both points of view are about equal, with the Canadian position involving less speculation.

Last edited by normhead; 11-05-2018 at 10:43 AM.
11-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Looking for some interesting battlefields to photograph? Just ease on up the Big Muddy to Vicksburg.
We spent a day there on our way to New Orleans
Mocking Bird - PentaxForums.com
U.S.S. Cairo - PentaxForums.com
11-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Just read letters written by significant British players. I don't think they wanted New Orleans.
Jan 8th became a major celebration in the south for many years. Strong evidence it built confidence.
The war ended with status quo. No winners.
When the treaty was signed new England was petitioning the Brits for troops to help them join canada. That is strong evidence of losing confidence. I think it has to be looked at regionally.