Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A strange looking spider
Posted By: Atindra, 09-24-2008, 10:54 PM

I have seen this first time. I has a flat body with two stings at the tail. Its very steady and fearless. It lives on the wall of my terrace since many days. Here is a shot.

Anyone with its ID please?

Atindra
Views: 2,253
09-24-2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I don't know Atindra but it sure is cool looking. Any chance you can post a bigger version or a crop so we can see those markings better.
09-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes it is a Night Killer. These spider generally absorb heat during the day by staying on walls and absorbing heat from the sun. At night they seek other sources of heat (unfortunately warm beds are high on their list) Their bit is deadly, hence the name Night Killer. The victim is generally dead within an hour of being bitten. Rule of thumb... if there is one there are a hundred.

Just kidding, I do not have a clue what kind of spider it is (is the spider still alive, or did you kill already) Hopefully someone here on the site will know the little guys name and habits.
09-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hersiliid from India

The tree trunk spiders are members of the tropical and semi-tropical Family Hersiliidae. There are about 150 species in this family. These spiders have two very prominent spinnerets that are almost as long as their entire abdomens. So they are also sometimes known as "two-tailed spiders." They range in size from about 10 mm (0.4 inch) to 18 mm (0.7 inch)long. Being very well camouflaged for life on the varicolored trunks of trees, they have an interesting way of capturing prey. Rather than making a web that captures prey directly, they lay a light coating of threads over an area of tree bark and wait hidden in plain sight for an insect to stray onto that patch. Once that occurs, they direct their spinnerets toward their prey and circle it all the while casting silk on it. When the hapless insect has been thoroughly immobilized they can bite it through its new shroud. Also spelled Hersiliidae

Here is the link

Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/Spider_bangalore_wall.jpg/250px-Spider_bangalore_wall.jpg

I felt bad about pulling your leg in my previous post

09-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Spider is still alive. Thanks for the links Spyglass. I guess its eating habits are similar as per wikipedia's description. The present specimen is also living on walls like the picture shown in Wiki's page. wow!!! I found something nice with Pentax.

Atindra
09-25-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I don't know Atindra but it sure is cool looking. Any chance you can post a bigger version or a crop so we can see those markings better.
Thanks Gary.
The bigger version of this picture may be seen here
DropShots Zoom

Atindra