Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
The Squirrel Watching Spot..and the Squirrel
Lens: Sigma 70-200 EX DG Macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Granite Bay, CA 
Posted By: ToddK, 11-07-2018, 06:17 AM

My cat likes to sit on this ledge and harass the squirrels in an oak tree a few feet away. I think the squirrels actually like to play the game as much as the cat, since he is too fat and slow to actually catch one.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Views: 1,189
11-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
My cat likes to sit on this ledge and harass the squirrels in an oak tree a few feet away. I think the squirrels actually like to play the game as much as the cat, since he is too fat and slow to actually catch one.
The squirrels may know that both animals can climb up a tree, but only the squirrel can come back down {their rear ankles are hinged such that they can come down head first, while the cat would have to back down} - and as you have already observed, gravity is working against the cat on the upward climb.
11-07-2018, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
gravity is working against the cat on the upward climb.
Particularly my cat. At 18+ lbs, he has a lot of gravity to contend with
11-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The cat is very nice, with those green eyes, but I really like the squirrel composition, nice one!

11-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
The cat is very nice, with those green eyes, but I really like the squirrel composition, nice one!
Thanks Jerry!
11-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Nice pix. Your cat looks regal. Your story reminds me of my dog..Willy..I had many years ago. I took him out to my parent's cottage at the lake one summer day. He was quite old at the time, wasn't too fast...but still had all his brain power, which was considerable. He was part terrier / part poodle about 7 1/2 lbs on a good day.

There he was stretched out on the grass about 10 feet from a tree which had my parent's canoe leaning against the tree. There was a persistently annoying squirrel who chattered away at him and would come down the tree to further 'taunt' him.

Willy, being ancient... was good for at most a half hearted lunge and when the squirrel came within about 2-3 feet...he would lunge toward it and it would scurry away. This back and forth routine went on for about 15-20 minutes and I watched from a distance.

I started to realize what Willy was doing...with his lunges. He was carefully positioning the squirrel towards the canoe with his 'lunges'. After about 15 minutes the squirrel would come down, chatter and scold...Willy would lunge...the squirrel in his panic would turn to run and bounce off the canoe and bounce back ,,,very close to Willy. I called Willy off as I didn't want there to be a fight .

As I watched the two of them together and Willy manipulating the squirrel closer and closer . ..I thought of that old saying about old age and treachery always coming out on top.
11-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
As I watched the two of them together and Willy manipulating the squirrel closer and closer . ..I thought of that old saying about old age and treachery always coming out on top.
That's a good story! My cat uses similar tactics, but maybe not as sophisticated as a dog. He has worked himself within a few feet of them, and I have seen him just about get them a couple of times, but what I notice is that he backs off at the last moment and lets them get away. I think it is purely for entertainment and mental stimulation.

11-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
That's a good story! My cat uses similar tactics, but maybe not as sophisticated as a dog. He has worked himself within a few feet of them, and I have seen him just about get them a couple of times, but what I notice is that he backs off at the last moment and lets them get away. I think it is purely for entertainment and mental stimulation.
Our cat Velcro Queen Velcro - PentaxForums.com
has learned how to avoid killing mice {not many will wander into a house where two cats live}. We watched her hit a mouse - then it freezes - then push its tail so it will run again - then hit it - etc
to the point where one of my daughters carried the mouse outside on a shovel to end this 'torturous game'.