Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My first ever studio shoot
Posted By: Kim, 10-07-2006, 06:00 AM

Hey guys

No Pentax in my hands yet, but here are a few shots anyway.

Some of the pics contain mild nudity. You have been warned.

Please let me know what you guys and girls think!

As the topic says this was my very first time doing this type of stuff. I'm more a nature photographer, but shooting these was a lot of fun indeed!

Kim
Views: 4,190
10-07-2006, 06:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All great work the last one is my fav..
10-07-2006, 06:38 AM   #3

Excellent photos, my favorite is # 6.
10-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Very nice - I like #6 and #8 the best

10-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice work, although I think that the same pictures in an outdoor setting would look better.
But then again I think that everything looks better outside
10-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very good. Number 7 for me!
10-09-2006, 07:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Awesome job for a first time at portrait. I'm just starting to get into it too, and haven't figured out the lighting or the poses (quite a way to go before I have anything even worth posting! ). I love the lighting and the composition. The last one is my favorite.

What kind of lights did you use and how were the set up? What lens?

10-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #8
Kim

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xfraser Quote
Awesome job for a first time at portrait. I'm just starting to get into it too, and haven't figured out the lighting or the poses (quite a way to go before I have anything even worth posting! ). I love the lighting and the composition. The last one is my favorite.

What kind of lights did you use and how were the set up? What lens?

Thanks for your kind comments Xfraser and others!

I purchased and used cheap "Walimex" -flashes. They are Chinese and their real name is YinYan or something like that. I have the K260 models. These are really cheap but work well, at least for my purposes. Even at minimum setting they have a bit too much power, though. I would like to shoot at wider apertures with the flashes.

For most of the pics I used two flashes with 120cm softboxes. For some of the darker images I used only one flash with a softbox and a 150cm reflector (silver side) to fill the shadows a bit. Background was either a white wall or a black 300cm x 500cm cloth hanging from a support I built myself. The room was completely dark except for the modelling lights in my flash heads.

If you don't have "real" studio flashes yet I suggest that you get some. It's amazingly easy to set the shadows etc with decent modeling lights.

I used Canon EF 85mm f1.8 and 28mm f2.8 lenses. I hope to replace these lenses with the 31mm limited and 77mm limited.

I'm going to shoot this same girl again in the near future. She wanted me to shoot some full nudes which she could hang on her wall.

Last edited by Kim; 10-09-2006 at 10:36 AM.
10-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

send some of those pic's here
10-10-2006, 05:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the information, Kim. Your work really impresses me.
10-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #11

Nice work. I, myself have never been able to get the hang of shooting portraits, nature stuff mostly. I've always had a soft spot for B/W portaits. I especially like the last 4 pics. I hope we can see more in the future.
10-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #12
Forum Member

For first time work these are very, very good.

I think one thing that is really working for you is your model's ability to communicate with the camera. She's giving you a lot of good emotion. Shot number one is a great example, IMO.

Not giving her all the credit. Good expressions, from my experience, often come from subject/photographer interaction.

Be careful with that piercing. It almost looks like a cold sore in some shots.
10-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #13
Kim

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Wallace Quote
For first time work these are very, very good.

I think one thing that is really working for you is your model's ability to communicate with the camera. She's giving you a lot of good emotion. Shot number one is a great example, IMO.

Not giving her all the credit. Good expressions, from my experience, often come from subject/photographer interaction.

Be careful with that piercing. It almost looks like a cold sore in some shots.

Thanks for your comments.

I'd prefer that she would throw the piercing away, too, but I decided to not to care about it. She had only had it for a couple of weeks.

All of these shots are from the last hour of the shoot. I spent a few hours with her that day and at first the emotions didn't really show in my opinion. She relaxed with time and as you said we "got it going" afterwards. We exceeded the planned shooting time by hours and there was sort of electricity in the air. Too bad we had to quit as I had plans for the night.
10-10-2006, 11:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Very nice photos, Kim!
I prefer 6 and 8.. excellent misterious touch!
12-13-2006, 05:03 PM   #15

pics are great minus the piercing.