Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Mexican folklore street parade
Lens: Pentax-FA 28-200 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Morelia, Michoacán, México ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: szs, 11-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Hello all,

this was one of many great shots at a street parade celebrating Mexican and other Latin American folklore. It could as well be in the categories "street" or "travel"

I did some editing using darktable, mainly to get adjust the dynamics of the sky, face, blouse and skirt.

From an artistic point of view, I really enjoy the dancers relaxed, joyful face and the movement.

What do you think?

Steffen

Attached Images

Views: 350
11-15-2018, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #2
szs
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Here are some more photos of the same event. Comments are welcome
Attached Images

11-15-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I think your photos are great. Reminds me of something you would see in a 1950's magazine, particularly the B+W images. You've caught..very well... the activity, the wonderful expressions of people having fun. Like the way you have cropped the photos..really heightens the activity and focuses on the subject.
11-15-2018, 07:20 PM - 2 Likes   #4
szs
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback! I am a huge fan of the travel photography of that era and earlier.

Also, in Morelia it happens quite often to me that I turn a corner and suddenly I am transported back 50 or 100 years. The city centre is UNESCO world heritage for a reason....

I "developed" some of the photos in BW and in colour and can't decide which one I like better. BW has this timeless appeal but the colourful dresses were stunning!!

11-16-2018, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
Thank you for the feedback! I am a huge fan of the travel photography of that era and earlier.

Also, in Morelia it happens quite often to me that I turn a corner and suddenly I am transported back 50 or 100 years. The city centre is UNESCO world heritage for a reason....

I "developed" some of the photos in B+W and in colour and can't decide which one I like better. B+W has this timeless appeal but the colourful dresses were stunning!!
I used to work at a publishing business almost 50 years ago. They published 4 magazines.

As a result of this 'involvement' in the publishing world, albeit long ago, I've always been a big fan of magazines. Particularly the older style and I'm thinking about titles such as Life, Look, Arizona Highway etc. Magazines that concentrated on human interest stories...that celebrate human endeavour...that kind of thing.

I hope you keep involved in the type of photography you have posted...it very much reminds me of the kind of photography that was featured in magazines many years ago.

As far as B+W vs colour goes...I often find myself in the same dilemma and invariably if I can't choose...print both B+W and colour versions.
11-16-2018, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The first picture looks like old magazine print, love it!
11-16-2018, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really enjoy this series. Thanks for sharing!
11-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
szs
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words!!

I went to a print shop yesterday to get a few photos of the series printed in B+W on decent paper. Namely, the first, the second in B+W, the old ladies and one of a group of mariachis not shown here.

They are ready on Tuesday. I'll let you know how that went....

11-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
Here are some more photos of the same event. Comments are welcome
I like the 1st and 4th photos the best - the two B&W ones. I think it is the subject matter and composition - not the monochrome-ness .... usually I prefer color over B&W.