Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
29 Likes  
Milky Way above the Himalayas
Posted By: Dan Paris, 11-21-2018, 03:07 AM

Hi,

Here is an astro-landscape from the Dolpo region in Nepal. Taken from a high camp at 4,900m, 12 x 30" with astrotracer, stacked with Sequator. The mountain is the Dhaulagiri II at 7,751m

Dan

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 2,629
11-29-2018, 03:32 AM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Paris Quote
12 x 30" with astrotracer, stacked with Sequator
I've no idea what all that means and it doesn't really matter, it's a cracking image and for me that's what it's all about... the image is everything.

12-01-2018, 12:39 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Breath taking image. That's hard for me to say.

I'm not an astrophotographer so pardon my question. Is the red in the sky from the sun? Or where?

Thanks,
RONC
12-01-2018, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Breath taking image. That's hard for me to say.

I'm not an astrophotographer so pardon my question. Is the red in the sky from the sun? Or where?

Thanks,
RONC
It’s stars, gas and dust in the Milky Way.
12-01-2018, 04:03 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
It’s stars, gas and dust in the Milky Way.
Reason I ask is that color balancing has to be impossible by combining two distinct spectra from completely different light sources. I was wondering if balancing processing twice with sky as major area once and earth as the major area second might show very different balancing. It is like HDR with a significant boundary of just a few light years or so.

The red hue just seemed out of place to me

RONC

12-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hats off first for the hard work getting to this location and second for this wonderful photo!
12-03-2018, 06:24 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Firstly, I am deeply envious. But I can't help but feel that there should be a little less dark foreground, and more sky? But still beautiful, very much so.
12-03-2018, 02:50 PM   #22
Unregistered User

I sent my son a link to that picture, as he'd spent a year there teaching English to elementary school kids. He said it took him back to see that image, because he used to stand outside and watch as all the electricity went out every evening, making the stars really pop. Apparently they can't afford to run the generators full time, so the power goes out every evening at a certain time. Kind of like how it always rains at four o'clock p.m. on the Bizarro World.

12-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all for your kind messages!

Ronc nightsky color is a difficult topic. Many photographs picture it uncorrectly dark blue while it is more brown in reality. In the present case, near the horizon there might have been some faint glow from sunset (it was not that late as the Milky way sets early in November) or distant artificial light (which I doubt)

Ranmar850 it was indeed a choice to frame it as a daytime landscape. Others may think differently but I don't like so much astroscapes with a thin, distorted foreground at the very bottom of the image - especially when you're in such breathtaking place

Dan

Last edited by Dan Paris; 12-03-2018 at 03:51 PM.
12-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Point taken. I do some night skies/Milky ways,as well as ISS passes, but have not achieved anything so brilliant as that. You are right as to the colour balance, the sky usually does have a brown cast, IMO. I have just given myself a Samyang 14mm manual lens as a Christmas present, yet to have clear skies to try it out.
07-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #25
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Paris Quote
Hi,

Here is an astro-landscape from the Dolpo region in Nepal. Taken from a high camp at 4,900m, 12 x 30" with astrotracer, stacked with Sequator. The mountain is the Dhaulagiri II at 7,751m

Dan
Wonderful - exactly the sort of shot that inspires me. Not sure I can match the location though.
07-14-2020, 02:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot ! I'm longing for dark skies right now, under my light-polluted suburban sky...
08-16-2020, 06:41 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am concidering purchasing the astrotracer for my K70. But Ihave a nagging question. For example in this marvelous pitcture why is the mountain not (appearing to be) moving, if you get my drift? What have i missed here?
08-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #28
Site Supporter

What an impressive image. Brilliant. Makes me want to scout locations here, although they won't be anywhere near as impressive, and have a go myself.
09-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks pqberger for your kind comment !

QuoteOriginally posted by McCMac Quote
I am concidering purchasing the astrotracer for my K70. But Ihave a nagging question. For example in this marvelous pitcture why is the mountain not (appearing to be) moving, if you get my drift? What have i missed here?

With a moderate exposure time and wide angle lens, the "motion blur" in the foreground is not very noticable, especially since the landscape is quite dark. However on the stars it would be hence the choice of astrotracer. It is best however to do a separate series of frames for the landscape (with longer exposure times)
« Cat | Storm Tide »