Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Bald Eagle
Lens: DA*300/4 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Rivière-du-Loup, Québec ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: jpzk, 11-21-2018, 07:18 PM

On a very cold and wintery day.
Seems like winter has set a new start record: we usually do not get the "full winter" until around December 15 or so.
The Bald Eagles have been increasingly more numerous for the past few years ... Climate change?

Views: 758
11-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Seems like winter has set a new start record: we usually do not get the "full winter" until around December 15 or so.
The Bald Eagles have been increasingly more numerous for the past few years ... Climate change?

Nice pix. We have a lot more out here too in the prairies I've noticed. In the '60's and '70's I hardly saw any, but my understanding was that it was DDT that was responsible for a significant loss in raptors back 50-70 years ago.

It was banned many years ago and around the early '80's I noted that Bald Eagles and other raptors seem to come back in greater numbers. Back in the early days out west and I would think in Eastern Canada...many raptors were shot in the countryside in the belief that they consumed a lot of stock...chickens mostly. Laws developed over the past 50-70 years + outlawing shooting of these wonderful birds.

Bald Eagles also seem to do less migrating and I believe it's partially because of more availability of food...ie; carrion...dead deer, dead farm animals in the winter.

There are other reasons I'm sure, probably a combination of factors.
11-22-2018, 02:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favorite animal in the whole wide world. Nice work.

TT
11-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Good job of focusing despite all the tiny branches to tempt your AF mechanism.

11-23-2018, 06:03 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Very nice capture!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: