Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Wild weather - Eastern Australia
Lens: 06 Camera: Q7 Photo Location: Mosquito Creek, Queensland Australia ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: PJ1, 11-28-2018, 02:48 AM

Most of inland Eastern Australia is in severe drought at the moment. But in the last few days we have had everything thrown at us. Today Sydney had a 1 in 100 year rain event - 100mm or more rain fell in 2 hours. Lots of damage and flash flooding. A bit further north (where we are) a dust storm is helping to rub in the effects of drought. Not the worst dust storm I have witnessed, but still uncomfortable and a lot of cleaning up to do. North again, catastrophic fires which show no sign of abating. The fires cover a massive area. A series of dry storms have seen lightning starting further fires. There are more than 150 fires at the moment and some are the worst that Queensland has ever had. From the fire zone north we have a heat wave that has brought the highest temperatures on record to places like Cairns (42.3C or 108F). That is extremely hot for somewhere that is right on the coast.

I think I have got off lightly so far and I hope we continue to. But my contribution - today's dust storm - appears below. I will throw it out to the rest of the Forum up and down eastern Australia. What has it been like where you are?

Views: 600
11-28-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hopefully things start to calm down a bit, however that's a wonderful photo there
11-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
good luck with these difficult situations! climate change is here to stay i'm afraid... we will be tested in more ways than one!
06-26-2019, 12:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for the interesting report and picture from Australia. Not so much dramatic here in Noray.

06-27-2019, 01:27 AM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Thank you for the interesting report and picture from Australia
Thank you, Janse. I posted that pic 7 months ago and we have continued since then with hardly any rain. To put it in perspective, our average annual rainfall is 620mm. We have been sitting on 300mm for nearly a year now. Each month or two we seem to get just enough to keep it at that level. It is getting hard to imagine this drought will ever end.

I would rather be in Spain (or Norway).