Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
First photo with KP
Lens: 18-135mm Camera: Pentax KP ISO: 12800 
Posted By: reh321, 11-30-2018, 01:00 PM

The weather has been lousy the last few days - weather I'm not interested in going out it - so as of this morning I hadn't used my KP yet. When I was ready to go out and run some errands, I just had to capture this scene of our two cats napping together on my coat ,,,, they hardly ever even nap in the same room. I took this at ISO=12800 - I had been unwilling to use my K-30 at higher than ISO=800.

note: unfortunately the window is to my left, so the black cat was farther from it.

Last edited by reh321; 11-30-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Views: 1,441
11-30-2018, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #2

very nice, hope you took another coat;
12800 iso? uff incredible KP
11-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Impressive with that iso. Those cats look comfy.
11-30-2018, 03:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations on your kp. I got one as well. Never thought I would have a camera as good as this one!!

11-30-2018, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The weather has been lousy the last few days - weather I'm not interested in going out it - so as of this morning I hadn't used my KP yet. When I was ready to go out and run some errands, I just had to capture this scene of our two cats napping together on my coat ,,,, they hardly ever even nap in the same room. I took this at ISO=12800 - I had been unwilling to use my K-30 at higher than ISO=800.

note: unfortunately the window is to my left, so the black cat was farther from it.

Just purchased a KP too. It is a superb low-light/natural light camera and the interface makes using a complex camera pretty easy! It's the cat's meow.
12-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the new camera. I know you had quite the internal debate on whether to buy now or wait to see what hits the shelves in 2019. I was doing the same.
All our coats look the same as the one pictured. A little added insulation from our feline family members. And one dog.
12-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations, and that is some achievement for a high ISO.
I am seriously considering a K-70 at the moment with similar ISO performance at a great price, even swapping the K-3ii out for it and I won't be the first to do that.

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I know you had quite the internal debate on whether to buy now or wait to see what hits the shelves in 2019
It's a perpetual struggle with attractive new gear coming out We might yet have the debate again .

12-03-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Francisco Carneiro Quote
very nice, hope you took another coat;
12800 iso? uff incredible KP
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
Impressive with that iso. Those cats look comfy.
QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
Congratulations on your kp. I got one as well. Never thought I would have a camera as good as this one!!
QuoteOriginally posted by dennishohman Quote
Just purchased a KP too. It is a superb low-light/natural light camera and the interface makes using a complex camera pretty easy! It's the cat's meow.
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Congrats on the new camera. I know you had quite the internal debate on whether to buy now or wait to see what hits the shelves in 2019. I was doing the same.
All our coats look the same as the one pictured. A little added insulation from our feline family members. And one dog.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Congratulations, and that is some achievement for a high ISO.
I am seriously considering a K-70 at the moment with similar ISO performance at a great price, even swapping the K-3ii out for it and I won't be the first to do that.

It's a perpetual struggle with attractive new gear coming out We might yet have the debate again .
Thank you all for your comments.

Obviously, I need to learn a lot more about this camera to get best use from it - 1-1/2 months to our first daughter's wedding - but the most important thing to me is how it avoided noise while maintaining details. Velcro {the 15-year-old light-colored cat} always deposits light-colored-hairs wherever she goes, twelve months of the year. Leila {the black cat} always looks like she has dandruff, and always has a few short while hairs. The KP caught all these little things, as well as showing hair structure on these living animals where my K-30 would have shown it at ISO=100.
12-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot RE the KP handles that High ISO really well. Now hurry up and go grab some outdoor stuff. I'm getting a bit envious.
12-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Nice shot RE the KP handles that High ISO really well. Now hurry up and go grab some outdoor stuff. I'm getting a bit envious.
Thank you for your comment and encouragement.

Last night our weatherman said this past November was the 3rd coldest since they started keeping records 100+ years ago. My wife's reaction was "so we weren't just imagining being miserable". I think the KP is more ready to be outside than I am. My guess is that very high ISO values will be most useful indoors - I have become really frustrated with flash over the years {I must have a dozen units that didn't work out and are probably not worth the effort to sell} - but shots like this will give me more confidence to use numbers like ISO=2400 to get the combination of shutter speed and aperture I want while shooting wildlife outdoors. I'm guessing I won't have to look for excuses to use high ISO, but I need to be ready to use it when those opportunities arise.
12-03-2018, 11:38 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I must agree with the others. This is truly a lovely photograph. Another one I will fwd to my wife as she is such a cat person it is unbelievable. Thnx for posting.

TT
12-04-2018, 08:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I must agree with the others. This is truly a lovely photograph. Another one I will fwd to my wife as she is such a cat person it is unbelievable. Thnx for posting.

TT
Thank you for commenting.
12-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Issues with Velcro, the lighter colored cat, are partially explained by what happen to Dynamic Range as we go to higher ISO values.
Attached Images